Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Speaking Up about a Polarizing Person

I’m speaking up and out about a polarizing person - yet, a loving and compassionate person – Christ Jesus. In my opinion, there’s a growing double standard toward Christianity. The time is now - for the Believer to stand up for Jesus! Have our voices been too quiet? I confess, at times it gets irritating to my flesh – to be spiritually disrespected and pushed aside. To feel like the Christian voice doesn't have the same freedom of expression that others do. I’m not suggesting arrogance, aggression, or ego – but I am encouraging that we humbly ask for the same rights and accommodations that others are granted.

I understand that I risk receiving “hate” emails for this particular post. Let me state clearly that I’m not attacking non-Christians or any particular person. I firmly believe everyone should have the freedoms of speech and religion – I ask that you don’t treat my same rights with any less treatment than you expect of yours. It’s an equal playing field. For everyone. 

Unfortunately, I have found several atheists and anti-Christians are veracious in their attacks toward Christian writing. Not everyone of course. Not every person of a different faith.  That wouldn't be a fair or accurate comment – but there is an increasing population who want ANY and ALL mention of Jesus – God – Christ - to be eliminated from society. The name of Jesus offends them, and the argument is often made that His name is discriminating and insulting to their liberties.

Sadly, I just read a story a day or two ago, where a 4th grade student was sent home; suspended for three days; and given a written disciplinary action (permanent) for wearing the symbol of a cross on her t-shirt. There were no words on the shirt. No Biblical quotes. Just a picture of a medium-sized Celtic style Cross on the back of her garment.

The disciplinary action said that the 9 year old was “advertising hate propaganda by wearing inappropriate or violent advertisement.”  Really?  The Cross is advertising hate? It wasn't a gun. It wasn't a knife. It wasn't gang-related communication.  I think this situation is a prime example of being overly politically correct and overly divisive. Dare I say ridiculous? The kicker is that the TEACHER who reported the “hate crime” wears a head covering every day – for her religious beliefs.

I’m shaking my head. It screams double-standard to me. When I was a young person, I was taught, “What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.” (I don’t apply that principle too often as an adult – it can lead to careless behavior). But, I think you probably see the principle in this illustration.

Sadly, I think the media has helped to perpetuate the impression that Christians are radically minded people concerned with legislating government and the morality of man.
It’s a huge misconception.

The Christians that I know (most at least) have a desire to share the “Good News” of the Gospel. Mainly because accepting Jesus into our hearts is the best thing we’ve ever done! But, also because we care about people – not hate them! Christians want to point others to an all knowing, all loving, and all giving God. They want to be a good friend. Live an honest life. Be a person of integrity. They/we’re not going around trying to snuff out someone else’s beliefs.

So, as often as it is appropriate, stand up for Jesus! Let’s remember the Cross – and the price that Jesus paid for OUR sin. For ALL sin. Oh, dear friends…let’s cherish the Cross!

Look UP my friends!

On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
  The emblem of suff’ring and shame,
And I love that old cross where the Dearest and Best
  For a world of lost sinners was slain.

So I’ll cherish the old rugged cross,
Till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
  And exchange it some day for a crown.

 Oh, that old rugged cross, so despised by the world,
  Has a wondrous attraction for me;
For the dear Lamb of God left His glory above,
  To bear it to dark Calvary.
 In the old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine,
  A wondrous beauty I see;
For ’twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died,
  To pardon and sanctify me.
Music & Lyrics by George Bennard (1873 – 1958)

1 comment: