Saturday, January 25, 2014

Lesson from Winnie

When our niece, Sam, was a little girl she loved Winnie the Pooh. She would sleep with a Winnie stuffed bear and his buddy Piglet. She toted and cuddled that Winnie so much; it finally fell apart in the washing machine. Right away her mom bought her a new one to replace it. We didn’t think Sam would ever be the wiser. But, kids are observant and smart! She immediately asked why Winnie had new clothes and why his nose looked different. I told her Winnie had taken a bubble bath and that he needed to change clothes, like when she put on her pajamas that night. (Winnie HAD taken a bubble bath, I just didn’t volunteer that the original bear had literally fallen apart.)

After further inspection, smelling, and eye-balling the “new” Winnie she was satisfied with the answer. Thankfully! Nobody was ready to explain the ‘death’ of the beloved bear to a child of such a small age.

After the crisis was averted, I asked her why she loved Winnie so much and in her sweet, precocious 4 year-old voice she replied, “I love him. He’s my happy friend.” It sounded more like “I wuv him. He’s my happy fwind.” You can picture the image. So precious. And so sweet.

The Bible teaches us in Psalm 63:5-7 - My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches. Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice.


Children are certainly pure in heart, aren’t they? So when I came across the picture of Winnie, at the top of this page, it struck a chord within my heart. There’s a life lesson for the Christian in it. Pooh’s favorite day is today! Each day that he is alive – he has an appreciation and an innate hope. He has a positive outlook. It’s almost like his worries and burdens from yesterday have been forgotten and he’s focused on the joy of today.

What if WE applied the same principle? The same mind set?

Let’s be thankful for today. It is a gift. Time is too short not to be happy! You’ve read that sentence – heard people say it numerous times – time is short yet, it serves as an important reminder. Living in the present – in the moment – is a good thing.
It is so very essential to be grateful and thankful for what God has blessed you with this very day. 

Let’s try to make today our favorite day of the week! The month! The year.
There’s something resonant in Psalm 63:7 that I quoted earlier. “In the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice!”  
In the shadow of HIS wings –
·      There is peace!
·     There is protection!
·         There is provision!

Take a moment. Let God’s Word speak to your heart – feel Him - today.


Look UP my friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment