Monday, January 13, 2014

It's Always Something!

A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother – Proverbs 18:24 (KJV)

In my mind’s eye I've never seen so many people, so broken hearted, as I have at this time in life. It’s like an epidemic – or how the flu spreads – it is fast and holds no prisoners! I’m not talking about life’s challenges or typical adversity, but real grief and brokenness.

Seeing others’ in the active stages of pain/hurting has been a little overwhelming recently – friends, family, colleagues – all going through different pain-filled and emotionally raw events. C.S. Lewis said this comment, “Mental pain is less dramatic than physical pain, but it is more common and also more hard to bear. It is easier to say ‘My tooth is aching’ than to say ‘My heart is broken.’…Sometimes, however, it persists and the effect is devastating.”

For me personally, I have an innate fear of the dentist, but if I have a toothache, I know I need to go see one, albeit with hesitation. I get my teeth cleaned even though it’s something I have a dread of.  If my vision gets blurry or changes, I understand that I need to see a qualified optometrist.

But where does one go for a broken heart? I suggest that the Christian innately understands that we turn to Jesus, the Good Shepherd, our Comforter. HE understands a broken heart more deeply and thoroughly than any human being.
I’m reminded of the garden of Gethsemane. If it has been a while since you’ve read the passages in the Gospels of Matthew and Luke, then take a few moments this week and emotionally connect with our Savior’s agony. His sorrow. His heart ache. His grief. Let your heart be broken for HIS suffering! The Word will speak to you. (It is the Living Word, after all).

My immature mind thinks that if my closest friends were sleeping in my hour of greatest need, I might get very angry. Or if one of my dearest friends had betrayed me for money…umm…I probably wouldn’t have been too kind in my response. That’s just my weakness; perhaps you’d respond with more humanity?!

My simple point is that there are times we feel alone. Tears fall. We feel broken hearted. Deeply wounded. Deeply concerned. People you love may turn against you! You may feel like you’re going through (or went through) your own emotional Gethsemane. Know that Christ Jesus has been there. HE knows what you’re going through – He knows where you’ve been – and what you’ll go through in the future.

People (you love or care about) might let you down! Friends may fail you. Family may fall short. But! Let’s be reminded that WE NEED JESUS in every aspect of our lives! Every day. In every way. The Christian will find Him in the center of the most broken times! And not just one time….but over and over. Every time you need Him!

It’s always something! So, in the distress of your life, be reminded that God understands you – and He understands better than anybody – where you are and who you are. You are HIS!


Look UP my friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment