Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Why is Pride Sinful?


“A proud man is always looking down on things and people; and, of course, as long as you are looking down, you cannot see something that is above you.” ― C.S. Lewis  Have you ever met someone with an ego problem? Their self-image seems to come across higher than is necessary in a particular situation? Maybe it’s just me, but the sin of pride can just suck the air right out of a conversation, the room, and most of all God’s formal place of worship – His sanctuary! But have you also noticed, those who often struggle with pride, don’t even realize it! This lack of self-awareness is not a healthy practice. HUMILITY is a good quality! A great quality! Jesus was the perfect example of humility. You’ve probably heard the adage “Don’t mistake my kindness for weakness.” I think it is a good reminder for us all ~ Don’t mistake self-pride and self-importance for God’s opinion on the matter!

I was in my local Target ® recently, where I was enjoying meandering in the pet isle. I could hear 2 young men talking as they were looking at the various brands of dog food and dog treats too. I was disappointed when I heard their conversation existed mostly of bragging and boasting about their clothes, cars, video games, girlfriends, and everything under the sun you can think of. I’m not judging them, mind you. I just felt bad that everything they gave glory to was themselves. When I looked over to see their two faces – I was stunned. I had expected the voices to be that of a 20-ish year old. The boys couldn’t have been more than 13 years of age!

There is a huge dissimilarity between the kind of pride that God detests (Proverbs 8:13) and the kind of pride we feel about a job well done. It’s more than okay to feel satisfied or happy when we’ve don’t something well!  However, it is kind of pride that grows from self-righteousness that is sin! God is not pleased because it is a hindrance to seeking Him (Psalm 10:4 The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God: God is not in all his thoughts.) One writer said, "The proud, on the other hand, can be so thoroughly blinded by their egotism that they think they have no need of God or, worse, that God should accept them as they are because they deserve His acceptance." How sad! Some people actually believe that they’re ‘right’ 100% of the time, and they’re happy to remind you exactly “how right” they are. I’ve also seen some people in business whose behavior depicts that they believe they’re a gift to the organization. Beware of a prideful countenance!  {Life Moment – I say this with respect. Life isn’t always about being right, nor is it about YOU 24/365. The Christian’s life is about HIM}

I encourage you NOT to boast - if we want to boast, then we are to proclaim the glories of God. What we say about ourselves means nil in God’s work. It is what GOD says about us that makes the difference! Pride has kept many people from accepting Jesus Christ as Savior, so the Christian does NOT want to be the cause of rejection!

Why is pride so sinful??  Pride is giving ourselves the credit for something that God has accomplished. A well known pastor said, "pride is taking the grandeur and glory that belongs to God alone and keeping it for ourselves." 
 It’s also just plain wrong.

Look UP my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment