Thursday, July 25, 2013

Why Do We Need to Pray?

It could be easily said that I’m not always the ‘brightest tool in the shed,’ but when God nudges me in subtle ways, I try and need to pay attention. (When He speaks to you, take note my friend! Listen up!)
My thoughts over the last two days have been about prayer – and the purpose in the prayer of the Christian. This week I’ve been asked the same question by two different people, in two very different situations. The question…”IF GOD ALREADY KNOWS ABOUT IT, WHY DO WE NEED TO PRAY ABOUT IT?”
That’s a great question. I’d first like to start off by asking (a time of self-reflection) as children of God, why do we wait until right before we go to bed to pray to God? To connect with Him? If you’re like me, you’ll often be in the middle of prayer time and you’ll fall asleep, or your mind will drift off to other matters. Not good! My point -- Let’s not wait to pray. Speak now!
I know it sounds impossible to the non-Believer, but our lives are more joyful and peaceful when we keep the connection going all through the day and night! It is what the Apostle Paul teaches us in I Thessalonians, chapter 5. The Scripture tells us to “pray without ceasing.”
Secondly, as one pastor said, "It is important to really understand that prayer is NOT an instrument or technique for getting what we want. It is not a tool to be used for selfish gain or desires through a Holy and righteous God."  Prayer is communication. It is conversation with our Heavenly Father on a daily basis – hopefully multiple times per day. You’re right. He already knows the desires of our heart. He knows our dreams and our hurts. But prayer offers an opportunity to enter into His presence. It is an opportunity to simply converse with our Heavenly Father!
When we pray we’re opening our hearts and our minds to God. Allow me to re-state, we enter into HIS presence when we humbly bow and invest in this conversation of praise and thankfulness.
And finally, I think it Max Lucado who said, "When we pray it is an opportunity to set aside our ego and any self-centeredness." (It’s not unusual to think our problems are big problems; maybe the biggest on the planet at given times!)  "It is important to focus our thoughts and hearts on what we should desire.  God meets our needs. He promises this. Needs and wants are totally different." Yet, He wants us to express what we are feeling and to express our dependency upon Him.
So, pray when you don’t need anything. Pray to say, “Thank you, Father!”  Pray if you do have a need. (God SHALL supply all our needs according to His riches in glory! Philippians 4:19) Pray if you’re sad or downhearted about a situation. Pray if you’re happy and excited about a circumstance. Pray if you’re concerned and grieved over something. Just pray! Talk with HIM. It’s never a wasted effort. God knows you better than YOU know you.
By the way, He loves the sound of your voice. Amazing, huh?
Look UP my friends!
A Simple Prayer ~~ Heavenly Father, Thank you for hearing me; for listening to my thoughts and my heart. Thank you for sending your only Son to die for me. I know Your ways are not my ways. Your thoughts are higher than mine. I just want to thank you for knowing the sound of my voice. Help me to hear Yours every day. I desire to commune with You throughout the day and night. Thank you for supplying ALL my needs. In the precious name of Jesus I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment