Tuesday, July 30, 2013

A Whistle-Blower for God?


I have very fond memories of ‘Friday night football’ from my high school years. Chilly nights - the kind where you see your breath when you speak. Big crowds. Hotdogs, ice-cold Dr. Pepper® and nachos being sold at the concession stands. Screaming parents and students. The high school marching band. Aaahhh…the thrill and excitement was palpable! Even though I was one of the cheerleaders for our team (Go Vikings!) I didn’t know much about football then – I don’t know much about it now either. (Don’t judge me! I had plenty of spirit! Haha)

I did notice one thing, and it stuck with me. The referees received a lot of attention. Mostly negative. Mostly from angry teammates, students, and especially parents. I recall one incident where a dad fell OUT of the bleachers because he was yelling so hard in support for his son, who was playing on the field. He fell hard - about 7 or 8 feet. Jumped up and started yelling again. He didn’t miss a beat. Now that is devotion! I'm pretty sure he was in pain the next few days. (Notice I didn’t say he was so thoroughly engaged at shouting AT the referee that he fell out of the bleachers. I said he was yelling in support of his son. That was a nice and subtle spin, huh? Be careful with words. Words have power!)
In those days the ref made a lot of judgment calls. There was no instant replay. No looking at television footage. I suppose that’s what referees still do. They are, in essence, paid to pass judgment at sports events. Certain actions require a 3rd person intervention. (Or do they?) I know I’m stretching a bit here, but I do have a connection. I don’t feel it is too much of a stretch to say that we who follow our Lord, the ‘true North’ Christians, are the referees of society who need to blow the whistle! We need to blow the whistle so that society – our family, friends, neighbors, and co-workers will know the message of the Cross. That the battle isn’t over! Our voices will not be silenced. God will always have His people stirred and doing the work for His kingdom! Is that not part of being “salt” and “light?” Let's be whistle blowers! In a Christ-honoring way.
 We definitely have a referee-filled society today, don’t we? Where someone wants to tell you THEIR opinions. Their thoughts. Make assumptions without seeking clarification. They’ll blow their whistle very loudly! Jack Welch said, "It will drown you out. Their whistles tell us what we should do and how to do it. We cannot step on someone’s toes for fear of permanent damage to the relationship." We live in a culture that does those kinds of things daily. It’s so easy to pass judgment! Oh, be careful, my friend!  I know from personal experience it can be HARD to look at the other person’s perspective, but it is necessary for a healthy conscience. When Christ Jesus said “Judge not that you be not judged” in Matthew, He was saying that we are not to condemn someone. He reserves that role in His omnipotent and final jurisdiction - for He is the final Judge. Alpha. Omega. Holy One. He alone judges eternal value for everyone and everything.
I think Dr. Graham said it well... "Most of society’s spoken attitude is that almost anything goes and is acceptable, so much so that almost everyone is afraid to call anyone’s hand on anything." (and he said that decades ago!) You’ve heard this phrase, right? Come as you are! “A church for people who don’t like church.”  My, my, my…how sad! Be cautious my friend! Don’t get trapped into religiosity and “good works.” (You understand that the Christian needs to “blow their whistle” in the right way, and with the right heart) But we as Christians, as the body of Believers, are supposed to be the “one true North.”  Among other characteristics, we are supposed to be the truth tellers and moral compasses to the unbelieving and skeptical world. A compass is reliable. It points the way home. It tells you where you are and what direction to take, in a manner of speaking! We are to be great, reliable compasses! Faithful whistle-blowers! We don't just represent our favorite team. A much beloved athlete. We represent the King of Kings! The LORD of Lords!

Questions: What direction is your compass? Are you pointing others in the right direction even at awkward times? Are you leading others toward your heavenly home?

Look UP my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment