Monday, July 29, 2013

When He Knocks

Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and make our abode with him -- John 14:23
Our dog barks like a maniac when the doorbell rings or when someone knocks on our door. She is a wonderful watch dog, as most German Shepherds are. I recognize her various communicational barks – she has a playful bark, a hungry for treats bark, a stranger alert bark, and so forth.  She automatically barks and growls every single time there is a knock at the door. She’s never slept through a knock on the door. She’s never acted lackadaisical in her response either. Our poor UPS man has trepidations to come onto our front porch, and I can’t say that I blame him. Her response is intuitive. It is automatic. She responds accordingly – she’s like clockwork.
What about us? What about you? Do we automatically, without hesitation, respond to God’s knock when He comes calling? Sometimes His instruction is soft and subtle. Sometimes He “knocks us on the head” and says, “Hello…Are you listening?” Or, on occasion, He might say, “Peace. Be Still.” But, my point is…God will speak to His children. We must listen and respond accordingly!
One time I came across the same person three different times in the same week. Different times of day. Different locations. All unexpected occurrences.  I hadn’t seen her for about a year. And then suddenly we kept crossing paths. There is a bit of an awkward job history involved, so I wasn’t sure what to do on the THIRD time. I knew God was exposing me to this situation for a reason, but it was unknown to me.  
I didn’t know what to say. I just opened up with, “I know this may be a bit awkward, but since we keep bumping into each other this week, I felt like I needed to say hello.” She was cordial. At first, a bit standoff-ish.  Sadly, she started crying almost immediately. In spite of our professional differences, she asked me to pray for her son who was extremely ill at the time. She told me the story of her illness and her inability to share her burdens and worries at work, so she was appreciative for someone to talk to. At the end, I asked her if she would mind if we prayed together. She skittishly agreed. So right there beside the laundry detergent and fabric softeners, in the middle of a big box store, we clasped hands, and I lead us in prayer. I’m not exaggerating when I tell you that I almost couldn’t hear myself, because her sobs and tears were so loud. (I wasn’t embarrassed though. We can pray anywhere. At any time!) She truly needed the outlet! She needed to know God cares! She needed a good cry. (I know it wasn’t the power within ME whatsoever. It was the power of GOD speaking to her heart).
I don’t know what happened to her son. I haven’t bumped into her since that particular week, well over a year ago. But I know God was knocking at her heart’s door. He was knocking on mine too.
Don’t miss the sound of His voice! Take note of His subtleties! If He knocks, OPEN the door.
Look UP my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment