Friday, January 25, 2013

It's good to be nice

When I was a sophomore in high school I noticed my friend “Luke” had dropped his books, coat, and what seemed to be mountains of stuff as he walked onto the school bus. I noticed some kids laughing and “poking fun” of Luke as he struggled not to block the steps. His efforts to gather up his belongings seemed to be futile. The mess got worse. Or maybe it was the taunting of our peers that magnified the awkward moment. Without too much contemplation, I stooped down and helped him collect his enormous amount of belongings. We finally made it to a seat on the bus, we sat next to each other, and the moments passed with idle chatter and conversation about geometry, family, and homework assignments. By chattering away like two crows in a cornfield, I was secretively trying to be as nonchalant as possible, and minimize the embarrassment he was most surely feeling. I learned things about Luke that I hadn’t known before – like he played the guitar but was too shy to admit it to most people. He had a cat named Goose. He despised potatoes. That was a stunning revelation to me! Really? Someone dislikes one of the best vegetables on earth?! I had never heard of this before! (Funny what we remember sometimes, huh?)  I asked him to help me the next day with a particular math equation, because he was more talented in that area than I was. (Interject here - It’s always nice to point out someone’s talents – offer a good word of encouragement and support – not to lift “man” up - not for ego’s sake, but for the honor of God. We all have individual talents and blessings, so it’s more than okay to recognize someone’s specific area. Don’t be jealous of it. Don’t resent it.  Let’s not compete against it. Try to be happy for the other person! You have talents too! Proverbs 29:23 - A man's pride shall bring him low: but honour shall uphold the humble in spirit.).
Luke was a nice boy. It bothered me that other students would harass him sometimes. I noticed Luke would take it without complaint. He would smile. Laugh it off. Perhaps I saw sadness in his eyes a few times, but for the most part, Luke made the best out of awkward situations. His attitude was fantastic!
Another couple of years passed, and we graduated together along with many more students, and as coming of age tends to lead, we went our separate ways, moving on to college, the work force, or other pursuits. I would bump in to Luke every couple of years and we would share friendly banter, small talk on family, jobs, spouses, and life’s uncertainties.
On one such occasion a few years ago, I unexpectedly ran into Luke at the drugstore. I hadn’t seen him in years! It was refreshing and good to reconnect again. Have a quick chance to catch up on what was going on in our lives. I must say, there’s just something special about your friendships when you’re from a small town. I find myself caring for my fellow classmates just like we haven’t skipped a beat, these 20 – odd something years later.
Luke asked very casually, “Do you remember what I was doing that day on the bus? When we were kids – and you started sitting next to me after that? When you helped the ugly kid pick up his books?” I was startled. I searched my memory fields as quickly as possible. I said, “Oh yeah – we’ve been friends a long time.” In that split moment, should I say yes, I remember, or no, I don’t? I stuck with a neutral response. “Well, I just wanted to thank you. You were a life saver that day.” That embarrassed me. I guffawed it off, and acted with humility as best I could. I was just being nice to someone who was nice too.
He looked at me with a sheepish half-smile, and said, “No. Really. I was going to kill myself the next day. I had it all planned out. But you needed help for Mr. P’s class. And we talked about how much you love hotdogs.” (Remember I had said earlier, it’s funny what we remember about people!) Goose, the cat, and hotdogs 20+ years later…who knew those were lifelong bonding moments?
I shook my head, and said how sorry I was that I didn’t know he had been in such a hurtful state of mind, and that I wish I could have done something more, and that it would have been a horrific loss for all of us, had he prematurely took his own life. (I’m pretty sure I just rambled, but it really cut me to the core). Luke ended with a joke referenced back to my lack of geometry skills. “Well what else was I going to do, but help out a dingaling like you?”
We parted ways with a brief hug and wave goodbye. I went home with tears in my eyes, thanking God that Luke is still with us. He’s happily married. Two kids. Great employee. Makes a real difference in the lives of those he loves. All of that life could have been instantly removed? What a tragedy that would have been.  That evening when I read my Bible, a verse spoke to me. Romans 15:13 - Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.  In my Bible, I wrote “Nice to Luke” by the scripture to help remind me, that it’s always good to be nice! I praise God for sparing Luke's life...It wasn't me, it was HIM! And it helps others when we're nice.
Oh, we had hotdogs for supper.




Look UP my friends!

4 comments:

  1. Wow!!! What an incredible story!!! We never know what a difference the smallest act of kindness can make in someones life. To God Be the Glory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true, brother David! A small act of kindness can be used by God to make a big difference. (Thank you for reading the blog!)

      Delete
  2. That is just amazing... What a blessed message...You never know what one small act of kindness or concern can do...God is Good...

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW...Amazing! God is good...And the story moved and blessed my heart! Actions do speak louder than words this is truely amazing! Tears in my eyes knowing what kind of world we live in now and I hope that the children of today know how much they are loved...It is humbling knowing how God can use you for His purpose and never know it and sometimes letting us know He used us...

    ReplyDelete