Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Humble Acts Serve A Purpose

I read a true account of a little child whose sister needed a blood transfusion. If she didn’t receive one from the best possible donor match, chances were she would not survive. The writer said, "Her only chance of recovery was receiving a transfusion from someone who had previously conquered the disease. Since the two children had the same rare blood type, the young lad was an idyllic donor. The doctor put in plain words that Sarah in fact, had the same disease the little boy, her brother, had recovered from two years prior."
“Would you give your blood to Sarah?” the physician asked. Nathan hesitated. His lower lip started to tremble. Then he smiled and said, “Of course, sure thing, for my sister.” Soon the two siblings were whisked away and rolled into the hospital room. Sarah, an image thin, weak, and frail.  Nathan, strong, healthy, and energetic. Both were quiet, but when their eyes connected, Nathan smiled. As the nurse inserted an IV into Nathan’s arm, his smile diminished. He watched intently as the blood flowed through the tubing and over to Sarah’s arm.
With the ordeal almost over, Nathan’s voice, slightly wobbly and shaky, broke the stillness. “Doc, when do I die?” he acceptingly asked.
"It was after that important questions that the doctor realized WHY Nathan had paused earlier; why his lip had trembled when he agreed to donate his blood. Nathan thought giving his blood to his sister would mean giving up his life. In that brief moment, he had made his immense decision."
What a precious example of strength and love demonstrated here, between these two young siblings! It readily reminded me that small acts can benefit great reward.
Let’s pause to consider how our most humble act of service or sacrifice might change things in someone’s life – or many lives thereafter. We’ve heard the old adage, “it’s the little things that count,” but do we really mean it? Are we actively looking for opportunities to be a blessing to someone, even if they don’t seem appreciative? Perhaps you’ve been on the receiving end of an unexpected blessing and in that small moment of time, it’s what got you through! Reflect on how you were encouraged, you were delighted, relieved from a burden in some way. Enjoy it through Christ! After all, He is the giver of all good things. Mark 9:41 – “For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward.
Unexpected humility: A couple of days ago a young fellow, about the age of six, offered to share his peanut butter cup with me – AND the opportunity to hold his Lego. Wow! That was a big deal. Two of his “mostest favorite things” so humbly offered. A gentleman I didn’t know held a door open for me yesterday. Today my husband fulfilled an act of kindness for me.  I received an encouraging word this week. I have been greeted with many smiles. I received a hug. A stranger returned my grocery cart for me. A co-worker lent me her umbrella during a severe rainstorm. These are just a few recent acts of humility I’ve been blessed by lately…what have you experienced recently? Really think about it…Humble acts serve a HUGE purpose!
 We really don’t know what some people are facing or living with: heartbreak, illness, bereavement, grief, stress, or suffering. There is a purpose for humility! One act of humility, really can enlighten someone’s day! Take a few minutes; you can come up with your “unexpected humility” list too.

Look UP my friends!

2 comments:

  1. What a blessing..Sure makes you think...Awesome Message...God Bless you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is my favorite so far . The Lord has really blessed my family . I owe so much . Thank you Lord .

    ReplyDelete