Saturday, January 19, 2013

A Discouraged Mind

When I was a young girl and "new in Christ," I used to think that life would get easier and simpler as time went by. I have come to the awareness that the longer I live, the more snares and challenges encircle me. And if I am being brutally honest, I need to own up to the fact that I have failed HIM greatly in my lifetime. I say with all sincerity, “Thank God for grace and mercy!” I have found in my own life, that the fiercest attacks are made on the strongest soil, and the fiercer the battle the soldier is called on to fight, the greater the evidence that the Almighty is working on his/her life. We, as Christians, ARE on the battlefield!

2 Corinthians 12:9 - And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Have you ever felt that the Christian path is sometimes more challenging and difficult than you thought it should or would be? You’ve probably heard this question before – why do bad things happen to good people? Why is it that every Christian, whether a seasoned “salty” one or a new believer experiences difficulties and trials? (I will expound about being a “salty Christian” in a future post – our Associate Pastor brought this out in a message recently, and it had a profound impact on my heart).

Many a young believer can be discouraged and disheartened when the odds seem to be stacked against them. But isn’t discouragement experienced by those seasoned Christians too? Of course!
It is very easy to let our minds lead us down the wrong road -  The evil one will whisper in our ear that God has forsaken us, that Christianity isn’t what it’s cracked up to be, that there’s no use in making sacrificial choices in our lives – doubts and fears can escalate in a few short moments. Before you know it, your mind is telling you to lay it all down; forget it; and give up in defeat! And these emotions are even more wounding if you’ve been hurt or poorly treated by someone you love, respect, or care for. Pain coupled with any negative emotion simply intensifies our hurt. In times like those, the only one to turn to is the Comforter, the Great Physician.

You remember Noah’s story, right? He preached 120 years with no visible reward! I can’t imagine the discouragement he might have experienced…the “what’s the point” commentary that would have no doubt been whispered among his family, neighbors, or friends. Let’s be reminded that we must keep our eyes focused on heavenly blessings and not earthly things.

Just like a visit to the optician for new glasses or contact lenses…we need to sharpen our spiritual vision when we fight the good fight. Last month I went for an eye exam myself. I hadn’t realized that my own vision prescription had changed until I had my eyes examined by a professional! We may have poor vision and not even realize it! Who better to help us with discouragement but our professional Way Maker, the Prince of Peace?!

There are lots of folks who have poor vision – they have what’s called a long eye and a short eye – and they make wretched work of their spiritual life. You see, one eye is kept on our eternal home, but the other eye is fixated on earthly goals. When you have opposing sides, someone WILL lose. We don’t want that side to be our spiritual side!

Have you seen and experienced God working in your life during times of attack? One way to fight discouragement is to reflect on ALL the times that God has delivered you from the snare of the evil one…ALL of the times He has answered your prayers…ALL of the times that He is there for us...ALL of the battles are His!

 Don’t be discouraged, friend! This valley you may be in didn’t come to stay around!

Proverbs 2:8 – He guards the paths of justice, and preserves the way of His saints.


Sickness must be present, for healing to take place
Lives must be broken, so they can be restored…
We must stop looking at our hard times,
Like they are dead end roads!
But avenues…to prove that He is Lord!

It didn’t come to stay….it came to pass…
                            ~Sung by The Martins

(I will try to upload the Hemric version of this song on my FB Page as well)


Look UP friends!

3 comments:

  1. Very uplifting and encouraging...Made my day..God Bless!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankful I have a FATHER who forgives my short comings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the part about the eye exam... and I can't tell you all the times God has brought me through a storm . He is faithful!! Looking up!!

    ReplyDelete