Wednesday, May 29, 2013

No Place Like Home

For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them – Matthew 18:20
As Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz said, “There’s no place like home!” Home can take on different connotations for different people, but for the Christian ‘home’ takes on three places. Home is the place where you actively live, home is our heavenly home that God went to prepare for us, and home is where we go to worship the Lord in His sanctuary. Have you noticed that everybody’s home has its own unique aroma and fiber of breath? I warmly recall the aroma my grandmother’s house used to have. Her bathroom was a mixture of Ponds ® Cold Cream and Avon ® fragrances. Often I would spend hours opening jars, inhaling, and trying on each lotion and potion. It was soothing and refreshing to my childhood spirit. Her kitchen was a heavenly mixture of bacon and brown sugar most days. To this day when I smell meatloaf cooking in the oven, I think of my grandmother.  Perhaps certain aromas trigger your essence of home as well?
Our homes are extraordinary. They tell our story! They’re our refuge from the world. The House of God we’re committed to tells our story too. The Bible tells us that Jesus has gone to prepare a place for us, and “if it were not so, He would have told us.” We cannot imagine the splendor and holiness of our eternal home. Just the word, “home” brings its own blessing of comfort.
Take for example my church home – I just feel better walking within its doors. Sometimes when going to our mid-week service my body is tired and my soul is weary – but going to hear God’s Word, listening to prayer requests, petitioning those requests on a holy altar is a privilege I don’t want to miss out on. The Believer’s church home is the place where we really need to be aware of what and who we are.  After all, it is holy ground and should be kept as such. It’s time to forget about our problems for a little while, lay down our burdens and anxieties, and come together to worship our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ. Where else can you be blessed in shared worship in His tabernacle? I encourage you to be found faithful.
In America we have the freedom to be who we really are – and I hope that isn’t something that we take for granted. To be WHAT and WHO we are in Christ is the best definition of home in my opinion – it is also a tremendous FREEDOM we need not take for granted. Life Moment: There’s no use in pretending to be a Christian if you aren’t one. God knows the truth. He knows our hearts, our motives, and our hidden meanings. As the old adage goes, you can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can’t fool God any of the time.
Consider your home life. Does it reflect the real you?
Look within. Ask yourself the following questions: What does my church home say about me? Do I glorify God in faithful worship and Him alone?  Am I regularly dining at the family table – spiritually speaking?
I recognize the best part of my earthly home is connected and centered on the fact that my husband lives in our home with me. Without him, it wouldn’t be the same. Without him, it would not feel like home as I currently know it. In some perspective, God feels that way about us. When His children don’t enter His home, He misses them!
When our kids grow up and move out of the house, it is called “empty nest” syndrome for a reason…Is God missing you in His house? In your conversation? Your prayers? Your reading of His Word? You CAN go home to God -- He is waiting!
Look UP my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment