Monday, May 13, 2013

Look In The Mirror

Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed – I Peter 2:24

Have you taken a good look in the mirror lately? I don’t mean to look for something green in your teeth, or a fly-away hair you’re trying to control, but an in-depth assessment of your soul. The “you” which is looking back at YOU. By the way, I see a lot of “fish lip” or “duck lip” photos on the internet – a lot of females taking pictures of their mouths and faces. ..those type self-portraits aren’t what I’m referring to.  I personally can’t relate to it, but maybe that’s a sign of my age. I must admit, knowing I risk offending several readers, but I would encourage you to discourage your daughters from posting these “fish and duck” type pics. They’re pseudo-sexual on some level – and it isn’t nearly as innocent and funny as the young lady says it is.
But, I digress. As Christians we should work on our soul-portrait on a regular basis. Before we accept Jesus, all of our portraits probably look the same. Black, sad, hopeless, dirty, and hard to look at – that’s the SOUL I’m referring to – not one’s outward appearance.
But have you considered looking into the mirror of God’s Word?
What about illuminating our soul in the Light of His Word?
Do you measure your inner-man against the Light of His Truth?
I think it is quite easy to lose focus on our own soul-portrait and look at others’ portraits. (Be careful in doing this!) For example, when we hear an inspiring “Word” from the Gospel…Let’s look within ourselves and admit how many times you’ve thought, “OH I wish ----had heard this message!”  Or maybe you’ve actually said to someone, “Wasn’t that a good message? Too bad____(fill in the blank) wasn’t here to hear it!”
Life Lesson: You cannot paint another person’s portrait.  You can teach, lead by example, encourage, address, pray, and cry…but people paint their OWN soul-portrait. It’s best to just focus on ourselves! Let God do His holy job. He doesn’t need our help.
Every artist has their own unique style – their own brushstroke. Two things the Christian can and should have in common are the “Brushstrokes of Faith” in our lives, and the application of beautiful “Colors of Compassion” (As I call them) that enrich the lives of those around us.
On an ending note, when I think of Jesus’ soul-portrait…I think of CRIMSON RED. Do you?
Look UP my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment