Monday, May 6, 2013

Half - Full Living


Part I – Life Half-Full

It can be challenging to look at life as a “Glass Half Full” experience…but we need to try! However, as you readers know, it is a little more complex than merely considering ourselves as either Pessimist or Optimistic. I found a great article written by Maggie Young on how some people are able to look at life as “half full.” So, let’s take a closer look at Beth Bale.  

For noble reasons, Valentine’s Day is ornamented with the ultimate symbol of love: the heart. The heart is life – it pumps the life sustaining blood we need. The heart in essence gives life, and in return life gives the ability to love. Beth Bale is a 64-year-old heart transplant survivor, who appreciates this relationship between love and life. Her transplant offered her a viewpoint most people don’t ever experience and gave her deeper connection to living life “half full.”

The writer told Beth's story something like this..."In 2000, Beth’s journey started when she experienced shortness of breath while traveling to her cousin’s wedding. She knew it was serious and consequently met with a clinical cardiologist right away. The news she received was stunning: her heart was enlarged and weakened, and she would need a transplant at some point in the future. The doctor officially diagnosed her with cardiomyopathy, a weakness of the heart muscle. Before long, a defibrillator was implanted under her collar bone. She couldn’t stay in denial much longer. Beth knew that she would ultimately require a heart transplant to stay alive."

Beth said, “Ten years was a pretty good run, but it was the inevitable progress of my condition.” She was blessed and was matched with a donor in short amount of time – less than a few weeks. It was the point of no return! The long anticipated surgery was at Beth’s crossroad of life and she was excited to finally feel better. (Life Moment – She was tired of feeling “sick and tired.” She made up her mind and purposed in her heart that having a transplant was GOOD news).

When Beth awakened from anesthesia her first thought was “I’m alive, I made it through.” And, according to Beth, each day gets better and better. (Notice she said gets better – not got better – the use of ‘gets’ shows an active verb – not past tense)  The article concluded by saying, "She embraced her surgery knowing many patients don’t have the happy mind-set and outcome that she did. Beth said that she believes her happy recovery could be in part because of the “half full” approach she took to life."

I’m not suggesting that having an organ transplant is the “way to go” to find a glass half-full life, but I am saying that our thoughts, our mind-set, and WHAT or WHO we purpose our hearts to – can make the difference in our lives. I'm just thankful I got to read her testimony. Answer the following questions for yourself:
                                                                                                                            Question: Are You Able To Laugh At Yourself?
Absolutely Not! I'd prefer thinking that I am perfect.
Usually. But, sometimes my sensitive nature can't make light of stuff.
Absolutely! Life is funny in general, including myself.
Not usually, I don't really like being the brunt of a joke.
Question: What Is Your "Happiness Factor?”
Happy.
Unhappy most of the time.
Not so happy.
Mostly happy.
Question: What is your "Fear Factor?”
Fear paralyses me.
I take a deep breath and fiercely face my fears.
I tend to shy away from situations that make me fearful.
I figure fear is just a part of life, I move myself through it as best I can.
Question: Are You in Control of Your Life?
I'm in control as much as anyone can be.
I have so little control I hate it.
I try to stay on top of things, sometimes I have lapses and let others make decisions for me.
I don't have any control. I feel powerless.

It’s important for the Christian to understand that while we have ‘free will,” we are not in control of our lives. We’re able to make choices – the good ones, bad ones, and the ugly. But the “power of self” does not control our lives. It doesn’t make us powerless to give our lives over to an Almighty God! Being a child of God awards us peace, protection, and His presence in our lives! (It is crucial to be honest with yourself...Do YOU live in fear? Is your glass half-full?)

I’ve written repeatedly that I think joy – laughter – and a good sense of humor are VITALLY important in leading an overall happy life. It’s healthy to laugh at ourselves. Christians should be  happy people!

If fear is paralyzing you – then I implore you to seek God during these times. It is not God’s will for any Christian to have a spirit of fear in your life that ‘reigns’ as dominant. The Bible says in Isaiah 41:10 Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.

Today’s Prayer: Heavenly Father I pray to you in Jesus’ name. You know that I
I have fear and sadness in my life, even before I confess it. Fear and unhappiness have started a war within me.  Father, you said that fear is torment. You said in your Word that you didn't give me a spirit of fear. So this fear is coming from the enemy. You said that You give me power, love, and a sound mind. Help me to find and express my inner joy. I desire to look at the blessings you bestow upon me. I want to be a light to a dark world but I need help within myself.
By faith, I declare that I will have less fear and sadness tonight when I go to bed than when I got up this morning. I will not be dismayed if I don't win every single battle but I declare that by the power of God - I WILL win the war through grace. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Look UP my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment