Thursday, May 23, 2013

GI Joe

Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. I John 2:15

I didn't notice anything at first. I was standing on the sidewalk, scanning for my car. If you look at today's picture you’ll see what I call a “GI Joe” man with his rifle pointed; ready to shoot. I almost stepped right on the ‘military man’ when I was leaving a large home supply store a couple of nights ago. It struck me just how easily (and expertly) the figure blended in with its surroundings. I was also quite relieved I didn’t step on him in my heels – might have broken an ankle! (I was unable to upload the pic I took with my phone, but I found the closest one possible for today's post).
 As I stooped to spontaneously take the picture with the camera phone, I heard a voice say, “That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen. Why are you taking a picture of the sidewalk?” asked an elderly stranger. I tried to remain kind and responded, “Well, I’m taking a picture of the GI Joe on the ground – he blends in very well.” His response: “I don’t’ see a GI Joe. I think you might be crazy, lady.” (Wow!  People can say callous things sometimes! The Christian needs to be mindful of senseless and hurtful comments. Think before speaking!)
I pointed to the GI Joe with my finger. “See, he’s right there. (I made a point not to be sarcastic) Good thing it isn’t a snake or one of those giant 17-year cicadas!” I said. (Thinking he would laugh). I was wrong. No laughter. More scowling. More sarcasm. More admonishment. I finally said, “Sir. I could have stepped on it – broken an ankle. Your wife could have stepped on him – fell and broken a hip. I’m taking a picture to use for some Christian writing that I do. I think I can use this GI Joe as an illustration in the near future.”
He scurried off like the GI Joe had shot him! No more admonishment! (Life Moment: I have found that when you talk about Jesus and/or God, people often want to escape your company. It makes them uncomfortable. Have you found this to be true also?)
My point is this: As a Christian we need to be aware of how much we “blend” in with the world. Pop culture has a way of imbedding itself into our psyche and warping our minds. Really! You’ve read this in my blog before, but polls show that many of us are very “religious” concerning church involvement and things of a religious nature. Yet, in America, we watch an average of four hours of mindless television per day. The Christian sometimes fails to educate themselves about Biblical truths. We seldom read the Bible and/or Godly books. Theology gets mixed up with basic doctrines. Some of the very most popular Christian authors and teachers may lapse into heresy or uncharacteristic doctrine, yet, the true Christian may miss the inconsistencies all together. Simple conclusion: We aren’t as grounded and ‘separated’ as we could be.
I’m not attempting to pass judgment or brow-beat religion (or my opinions on religion) into someone, but I dare say, we need to be mindful of who, what, where, and when we’re investing our energies. I read an article today that referenced how few Christians share their faith regularly (or without being properly indoctrinated in what the Bible teaches us). It’s easy to get stumped when faced with belligerent or challenging questions, so it’s good to be wise when talking about your personal beliefs. Many citizens across the world don’t accept Christianity as the “One True Faith” anymore. It’s our job to educate when possible. The Christian understands that Jesus cannot be one of many ways— He is the One - the ONLY way! One Gallup poll comments, "It's not that Americans don't believe anything; they believe everything." (Oh my! How sad my friends!)
The Lord Jesus Christ does not want us to believe in everything— rather, only the truth (John 14:6).
Before you go to sleep tonight, consider asking God to help you share your faith a little more. To help you study His Word a little more. To create in you a clean heart…Ask Him to help you NOT to blend in with non-Believers so effectively! Don't let God within you - be carried out in GI Joe fashion! The Bible says the Christian is “a peculiar people.” That’s a good thing!
Look UP my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment