Monday, February 4, 2013

She Wore Pearls

Colossians 1:12 - Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light.
Last week when I was standing in line to grab a napkin, I noticed a precious, stereotypical looking grandmother in front of me. She was so charming – the picture of innocence in her orthotic shoes, as they appeared to be freshly shined and glossy, her glasses sparkled, her little champagne-colored pearl earrings were just the right size for a lady of a certain age, a demure watch encircled an arm richly graced with lines. Her vintage handbag, slightly tattered tobacco-brown, reminded me of one I would see Mrs. Cunningham carry on the Happy Days television show.  I found myself smiling and being happy for her, as she enjoyed what seemed to be good health at an advanced age. We exchanged smiles and chatted about the weather and her pearls.
As the line progressed, she immediately took her quarterback position of “next in line” and right before my eyes, she metamorphosed into someone different from what I perceived her to be. No less than 30 herbal tea bags, 50 packets each of the blue, pink, and yellow stuff, 25 mini creamers, several gala apples, 2 bananas, 30 packets of ketchup, and a small tree’s worth of napkins disappeared into her medium sized handbag. Needless to say, her bag was incredibly overflowing with complimentary items. Then to my amazement, before departing from the smorgasbord of gratis items, she went back for the rest of the loot! I stood there trying to close my gaping mouth! She certainly had gusto – just picked up the entire tray of tea bags (the actual wooden display) and not-so-gently crammed the rest of the Lemon Zest, Darjeeling, Apple Cinnamon, and Chamomile into her already engorged pocketbook. I was in shock. Disappointed. Slightly offended. There went my fantasy of the sweet, innocent grandma…right down the preverbal drain.
Curious to see if she would be slightly embarrassed for her actions I said, “You’re a tea enthusiast I see.”  “Oh no, honey. I can’t stand the stuff. I haven’t paid for creamer in 15 years. It’s free, so I take it! It’s called frugal! You young people know nothing about being frugal. F-R-U-G-A-L.” (Yes, she actually spelled it out phonetically).
I didn’t have the heart to say, “No ma’am, you’re stealing. That’s not frugality!” But I thought it. Don’t judge me! She was elderly - and cute! She wore orthotics! She wore pearls! P-E-A-R-L-S.
Instead I said, “Wow, that’s shocking.” By that time, she didn’t really care what my response was…she was happy and glowing. Actually proud! And off she went to stash her bounty (now considered stolen contraband in my mind) into a suitcase she probably “borrowed” from a neighbor 60 years prior.
Since this encounter, I’ve compiled a quick self-help list to identify if you’re TOO frugal.
Five Ways You Know You’re Too Frugal
·         You haven’t purchased coffee creamer in years (but you drink coffee regularly)
·         You buy your perfume/cologne at Dollar Tree
·         Your kids/grandkids grow up thinking salt and pepper only come in small packets
·         You pass on a shirt at Goodwill or a garage sale because they want $2.00 for it
·         You haven’t paid for cable – since it arrived at the neighbor’s house in 1989
On a more serious note, God’s storehouse is always full. His blessings keep on coming, don’t they?! He isn’t frugal with His blessings, His love, His grace!  James 1:17 - Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
What if we had to hoard up His blessings? If it was necessary to race others to the table of bounty? Racing? I’m a slow runner, so I wouldn’t personally have much of a winning chance. But thank God! He NEVER disappoints. Never runs out! He is always faithful. There’s always enough for everyone. Every day. Every time. He has removed all variables. And yes, it’s a free gift! Now THAT is a “free complimentary gift” for the asking!

Look UP my friends!

1 comment:

  1. Amazing Message... Always Uplifting... God Bless You!!!!

    ReplyDelete