Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A Stranger's Love

Mathew 19:14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.
Karina taught me a lot about hospitality. She taught me a lot of things. Tall Karina, the Spaniard, athletic, clear brown eyes, with a heart-shaped face. We met in a gymnasium. She taught me that we’re never too old (or young) to be kind and it’s always a good choice to be bighearted to others amidst our own adverse circumstances.
There was something special about this girl. As I watched her interact with a group of peers, excitement hung in the air, smiles and giddiness were on big display. I was simply drawn to her light. As I listened to the chatter, I soon realized I wasn’t able to understand a word she said. Not one single word. I asked the lady beside me, “What’s she saying?”
“Oh she’s a new student here. We hope she makes it. She’s had a horrible go of it,” responded the staff member. This news made me sad. Onward I pressed. “Why is she here? She’s been hurt?”  “Her name is Karina.  That’s all I can say,” was the mysterious and concerning response. I continued to watch her smile; chat and giggle amongst her friends.
Before long, our eyes connected – I initiated a smile and waved my hand to say hello. She looked like a tiny wildflower to me. Sweet. Beautiful. Innocent. Loving. She darted over like a new born colt and began confidently speaking in a speedy staccato fashion. She took her blue headband off and pushed it into my hands. I had no idea what she wanted me to do with it, but I accepted it. I thought perhaps she wanted me to hold it while she returned to a fun game of volleyball with her peers. We smiled at each other, patted hands, and she returned to the game.
When the game dismissed, I noticed she didn’t join the large group for dinner. Dinner was served in the gym, a long single-lined buffet. Baked chicken, potato wedges, green beans, and rolls. Cookies the students made were for dessert. After we had been seated on brown metal chairs, Karina suddenly appeared bearing gifts. A small glass of lemonade and a brownie, topped with what looked like chocolate icing and nuts. I think she may have been saving the brownie as a special treat for herself. I tapped the empty chair beside me, and prompted her to sit. She did. She quickly sat. And stared at us like a wild-eyed doe. She chattered away. And grinned some more. She tapped the paper cup of lemonade, insisting I sip it. I took a big gulp to indulge her. It was mostly water, but I smiled as big as possible, and nodded my head so she’d know I was enjoying it. A generous bite of brownie soon followed.
I tried to communicate in my limited Spanish, limited American Sign Language, English…nothing worked. I was so disappointed. Then her eyes sparkled, and she began to sing a song. It was painfully beautiful – the sound a mixture of lonely flute and clarinet notes wafting through a still night air. After the song, I gave her a quick hug and pat on the back. On impulse I decided to sing a song to this lovely young girl in return! I daintily croaked out the words to Jesus Loves Me. At the end, it was her turn to clap cheerfully. She offered me a hug and pat on the back.
It was after that brief exchange I remembered that I was still in possession of her headband. I took it out of my handbag and offered it back. With great animation, she declined to take it back. It was clear that she intended it as a gift. How precious this gift…possibly her favorite possession. Certainly something she used on a frequent basis.
Off she darted again! My husband and I talked about how sweet and kind this girl was, and even though we couldn’t understand each other’s words, we could understand the language of compassion, of love.
It wasn’t too long before Karina appeared again, this time with a tattered, brown stained card. She gave it to me, another friendly hug, a huge smile, and she darted away like a deer in the woods.
I opened the card – inside were 6 words written in pencil, a few fresh picked clovers and a small flower that she had scavenged from somewhere. At first, I didn’t know what to think. It brought tears to my eyes. Of course, it was too late to say thank you, because she had disappeared into the night. I scanned the campus for a glimpse of Karina, but I didn’t see her again. On our way to the vehicle, I was able to locate a teacher. I asked her to interpret the card for me. “Nice people, I love you. Karina.”  
Back Note: The particular campus we were visiting was/is an orphanage specializing in abused and neglected kids, specifically ages 7 – 18. I later learned that Karina was there for temporary “placement,” which can be several months to several years. This teenage girl, who had been so cruelly and painfully mistreated by every adult in her life, had the courage and bigheartedness to love total strangers! What a lesson. What a gift of love. 
We drove away from the orphanage better people.
Are you bighearted person after obstacles and pain you’ve experienced?

No comments:

Post a Comment