Monday, February 18, 2013

The Good Book


Take me to an intimate library or a large chain book store, and I’m a happy girl. I’m one of the people who loved a cozy book-nook area long before the large box warehouses became so common place. But I’m not discriminate; I admit I’m easily enchanted with those as well. I’ve also been known to linger a little too long in the community post office. Take a quiet, deep breath the next time you’re in one. Have you noticed that post offices produce their own bouquet of aroma? The paper, glue, and envelopes merge together to bring forth a fragrance of pure delight for me. There’s just something special about paper and books! It’s what cream is to java and peanut butter is to jelly for me.

Perhaps my affection for books was both soothed and propelled by the 1970’s turntable record player I had.  Prior to early elementary school, I completely wore out my vinyl records of Ferdinand the Bull, Where the Wild Things Are, and The Boy Who Held Back the Sea. How I loved to follow along in my book as the woman’s soft and charming voice read the stories to me. The distinct “ping” to turn the page was music to my little ears.

So, along with my ardent friendship with books, I have a deep affection for those things penned, written, and engraved. I love old fashioned paper, cards, letters, quotes, things of inscription…you name it. A hand written note can be a precious keepsake. A book with notes scribbled inside, an index card with the baker’s notes (or blackberry stained fingerprints) quilled for an important instruction, a brief note from our spouse – “I love you. Have a good day.”  Those ordinary transcriptions can be quite extraordinary if we take time to treasure them. It’s one reason why I choose to send a snail mail birthday card, or a get well encouragement, if at all possible, with a hand written note. Besides, it’s nice to receive something other than a bill on occasion, right? LIFE MOMENT - I notice I’m more “old school” the older I get. How about you?

How much MORE should we care for God’s Word! Ask yourself what about His Word... How do you treat it? It really troubles me when I see the “Good Book” being ill-treated. Sometimes I can’t help but wonder if the person who leaves their Bible on the church pew each week, has another one at home to read. Is your Bible left in the backseat of your car to endure the extreme heat of summer or the cold of winter all week? Maybe you have a family Bible in the den with weddings and funerals listed, but it has collected a lot of dust this year. You don’t actually read it. Friend, I hope The Book is not used as a beverage coaster at your home – kept handily beside the sofa just for that purpose. Have you read the Book outside of church this week? Last week? How about the week before that? Treat your Bible with care!

We must CARE for God’s Word – the “Good Book” is the best book you’ll ever find or read! It really is NO comparison to any favorite hardcover or manuscript we might have. God IS the Word. John 1:1 says, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.”

How do you experience the fragrance of heaven if not in the pages of the Holy Scripture? Life Moment – How often do I spend time in God’s Word? Regardless of what your answer may be, it is not nearly enough.

It is difficult to truly narrow down a favorite book in the Bible but one of mine, undoubtedly, is Jonah. An excellent Masterwork of four brief chapters, Jonah also resonates in Herman Melville’s Moby-Dick, where it serves as text for Father Mapple’s grand sermon. The book of Jonah is nestled away in the Old Testament among prophets such as Amos and Micah. Jonah tells us of the importance of obedience! Nobody comes out smelling like a rose in this book – whether it is Jonah himself, the ship captain and his men, or the king of Nineveh.  Even the gourd sheltering Jonah from the sun comes to a debauched end. But we also see how regular people serve a purpose – and if God says go – we should go!

Again, I encourage you to treat your Bible with tender; loving care…it IS your direct communication with God. Do you have a favorite book of the Bible?

Look UP my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment