Monday, February 11, 2013

A Different Kind of Scarlet Letter

I have heard both jailhouse and deathbed confessions, and later questioned the genuine nature of the person. Maybe that makes me a bit of a “doubting Thomas.” The young man in prison secondary to alcohol and drugs; paying the price for bad choices. Deeply regretful; regrettably too little, too late. The middle-aged woman who lost her children because she had neglected them – now dying in the hospital from cancer – no way to make amends with her children.  The person who had cheated on his wife, and needed to clear his conscious before ALS (Lou Gehrig’s) made him incapacitated entirely. The banker who had stolen from his company and gotten away with it. Yes, deathbed confessions are the most difficult and conflicted to hear. It’s important for people, especially Christians, to be good listeners. You never know when an opportunity may arise to share the Gospel. Our ordinary days and hours can often lead to special moments to witness and share our love story with Jesus. His love! His crucifixion and resurrection!
I have no recollection when I first heard about the conviction of pickax murderer, Karla Faye Tucker. Or why I’m aware that her middle name ends with an “e.” But, a true life story involving a pickax isn’t something one forgets easily. About a year ago, I read an editorial of her execution, and it triggered a memory or two from childhood. I committed to memory how unusual it was for a woman to be sentenced to death in the 1980’s. Again, I don’t know what she looked like, where she was born, or any pertinent information, but I also remember my step-father saying, “You don’t do murder in Texas. In Texas, they’ll kill you for killing someone else. That girl is a dead duck.” {I deliberately decided not to research Karla’s crime prior to this post, because I’m relying on the leadership of the Holy Spirit. This post is not intended to promote any of her criminal actions in a positive light, to “lift her up” in any way, but rather point our thoughts toward HIM.}
So, I found myself mulling over Karla’s life recently; more specifically her final days on earth.  If memory serves correct, she was executed in February, so maybe that’s what prompted my thoughts. (It didn’t feel right to refer to her as Ms. Tucker, so forgive the personalized namesake). If you’re over age 36, maybe you remember or watched the interview she did with television host Larry King. I didn’t watch the interview myself, but boy did I hear about it! From my step-father, pastor, Sunday school teacher, and other adults in my life. Her death-row conversion was quite the hot topic among Believers and non-Believers.
She talked about her childhood, a jaded past of prostitution, and dropping out of school. One reporter said, "What later stood out to Mr. King was her request for a dictionary. A dictionary. On death row."  What was that possibly for? I’m paraphrasing of course, but she stated she wanted to learn good communication skills because God had filled her heart with a love for people, and she wanted to tell others what He had done for her. That He had changed her heart. When asked about the death chamber, she plainly said she 'was EXCITED to see God’s plan come to fruition.' She was not fearful of death at all. “My life’s already been saved,” she said. (If nothing else, I take away from this story, that it’s never too late. We're all one breath away from eternity. A serious thought. As long as we have breath, we need to glorify Him).
Before we get too pompous and prideful…We know you would never be the one behind bars for any heinous act. Let’s be reminded that while most of us don’t commit murder, rob banks, cheat on our taxes, steal from the company, or practice deliberate evil acts; what if your family and friends knew your “Scarlet Letter?” Obiously, in Karla's case, her sin was not a secret. In my mind's eye she clearly has an M for murderer. That's my human eye...not God's omnipotent one.
Would we look at you with the same grace and mercy that the Lord Jesus does? The same non-judgmental spirit? Once it’s forgiven – it’s forgotten! Forever. Never to be remembered again. Psalm 103 tells us “As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.”
A long time ago my husband brought this message to our church– how it really stuck with me – this topic of our own Scarlet Letters – would someone in our family, our congregation, our circle of friends, wear a big T on their chest for troublemaker? An I for instigator? An F for falsely accusing? An L for lying? An S for sneakiness? N for narcissistic?  U for unbelief?  J for jealously? I particularly liked his example of C – are you a member of the cold water committee? Are you the one who usually puts a damper on something new or different – mainly because you’re not in control? I could name the entire alphabet thrice through, and still have plenty of transgressions to list. Think about how human we really are. I really don’t want these types of letters inside me!

We should all dig deep. Look within ourselves. Consider what our secret, hidden sin is…if that sin was exposed, what would we do? Say? How would we act? Luke 6:37 - Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven: Would, and do we take action to make it right? Or make excuses. Blame others. Rationalize. Justify. Matthew 7:5 - Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
 Now might be a good time to pray, "Heavenly Father, You know the sin I struggle with inside...one that nobody knows about but You. I need help with -----. I ask for your deliverance and strength. Please forgive me through the blood of Jesus. Amen."
"What can wash away my sin? Nothing but the blood of Jesus! Oh precious is the flow, that makes me white as snow! No other fount I know...Nothing but the blood of Jesus!"
Look UP my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment