Monday, February 10, 2014

Happy as a Camel on Wednesday

People love people – maybe not ALL people – but we usually love someone. When we’re extremely blessed, you will love many people, and in return be reciprocated that love. We’re innately made to love each other. Even when we’re scrupulously unlovable, a sovereign God LOVES His children. (In spite of ourselves). 

Kids too love things…their Lego’s®, their iPods, iPads, their pet, cheese pizza, swimming pools, and snow days.  There are lots of things to love about life! God is generous in His mercy that way.

This past week I enjoyed some vacation time with my husband. I thoroughly love vacation time, don’t you?!

My curiosity was piqued by a sweet young boy – about 7 years of age – as he was sitting on a hectic street in our tropical destination. He wore no shoes. His shirt was filthy – it had once been yellow in color – but over time it had turned into a tobacco brown flush. His hair was unkempt. I noticed he had beautiful white teeth that stood out on his bony features. His dingy and torn shorts hung low on his slender body, obviously too big for his size.

The street was busy with tourists. Men were yelling for taxis, t-shirts and straw hats hung on poles, heavy aromas of cumin and curry wafted in and out of the hot air. People were rushing to and fro buying souvenirs and going to their destinations.

I observed him dart into a dark bungalow. No shirts, bags, or hats lined the front. I saw one light bulb dimly burning from within.  Within short order, I saw him return to his perch on the polluted sidewalk with a black banana. He smiled to himself as he peeled it with great care – and dipped his fingers into the fruit – savoring its flavor. 

Frankly, it broke my heart.

I pointed him out to my husband and suggested we try to buy the little fella’ a fresh banana or something substantial to eat. He immediately agreed.

The little guy didn’t speak English, but he did understand the universal sign to “eat” by placing one’s fingers to their lips. He just laughed and shook and his head. I pointed to the store next door – and held up a five dollar bill to him – offering him to go in and buy something to eat.

 He wouldn’t take the money, but he went into the store. After careful consideration, he chose 2 items. One candy car and one pack of shower caps. I know, right? Shower caps. Three to a box. $1.99.

I was thinking to myself, “How precious. He’s buying those caps for his mom or grandma most likely.”

I smiled – offered him a burrito on the counter – he politely turned it down. He was content with his selection. With the purchases made, he offered me a hand shake and returned to his self-designated spot on the street. He looked as “happy as a camel on Wednesday!”

We went on our way as we continued our walking “tour” of the city.
When we returned to the same street about 45 minutes later, there he was…sitting on the corner. Playing with a stick in the dirt. Wearing a mint green shower cap!

I had to laugh out loud at his innocent contentedness! His simple pleasure in life. He waved at us from across the street and formed a heart with his fingers over his chest.

It brought tears to my eyes. That little boy, in that precise moment, was a real expression of love. Isn't the love of a kid life changing? The love from another human being? No matter how small or new? It reminded me of the old hymn that states, “Grace and love, like mighty rivers, Poured incessant from above.”

I've included 3 of the 4 stanzas in today’s post…I hope you will take a few moments to enjoy the song. Verse 3 happens to be my favorite. Trusting it blesses you too!                  
Here is Love – By William Rees (1802-1883)
1.    Here is love, vast as the ocean,
Loving-kindness as the flood,
When the Prince of Life, our Ransom,
Shed for us His precious blood.
Who His love will not remember?
Who can cease to sing His praise?
He can never be forgotten,
Throughout heav’n’s eternal days.
2.    On the mount of crucifixion,
Fountains opened deep and wide;
Through the floodgates of God’s mercy
Flowed a vast and gracious tide.
Grace and love, like mighty rivers,
Poured incessant from above,
And heav’n’s peace and perfect justice
Kissed a guilty world in love.
3.    Let me, all Thy love accepting,
Love Thee, ever all my days;
Let me seek Thy kingdom only,
And my life be to Thy praise;
Thou alone shalt be my glory,
Nothing in the world I see;
Thou hast cleansed and sanctified me,
Thou Thyself hast set me free.

Look UP my friends!

1 comment:

  1. Such a sweet story...made me cry! Glad that God placed you there at that moment for you and for him!

    ReplyDelete