Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Does Your Talk Match Your Walk?

I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness – Romans 6:19 (KJV)

I’ll come right out and say it; just jump right in with today’s thoughts- Our language, like our clothing, should be kept clean. We seem to be inundated with bad or undesirable language from all groups and all ages. It’s exhausting on the Christian conscience to listen to it – even by default.

I remember my mom literally once washed my brother’s mouth out with soap when he was about 10 years old. He had become angry and let forth a slew of words that would make any grown man blush. She tried to calm him down, which resulted in an increase of verbal assault. Hence, out came the soap. (He laughs about it now).

Now, I know in this generation, it would probably be considered child abuse by many, but it worked back in the early 1980’s. Such parenting styles aren’t permitted these days, but it certainly isn’t’ because the language has improved!

I just had my ears burned and conscience seared in a restaurant this week. We were darting in for a quick supper. The young people in the next booth partook in what I felt was a vulgar, inappropriate language – their conversation was very casual, unassuming, and without any ashamedness at all. I was exhausted by the time they left (From trying to block it all out of my mind). 

I’m not trying to be dogmatic, but it’s no wonder that 89% of high school principals have reported receiving vulgar, provocative, and cursed language every day of the school year – either toward themselves, other students, or teachers. (I read that poll online).

Perhaps you’ve read about the great Welsh revival of the 1900’s?! After the large group of coal miners accepted Christ Jesus into their hearts, their speech was changed!  Their behavior changed! In this spiritual transformation, the horses they used every day to haul the coal out of the mines became affected too. 

The horses could NO LONGER understand the miners. Their clean speech was totally FOREIGN to the horses. I found that quite extraordinary! And sad.

So, let us be mindful of our speech. Our language. Our words. Our communication. Let’s maintain as positive and wholesome a quality as possible. Let’s ask ourselves, does my TALK match my WALK?

In times of stress, God will guide us,
So we will, in His grace be strong,
For by His grace we can conquer each trial,
Lord, help my lips to say nothing wrong.

Your forgiveness and Your mercy,
Every day I need,
During my walk let me keep my tongue guarded,
Not just tomorrow, but today is my plea.

That I may be a light to others
A trophy of grace I want to be
Until then, may my lips stay closed,
Until the day Your face I one day see!
       By: Kimberly Hemric© 2014



Look UP my friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment