Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Running on Empty

Today I was so hungry I could’ve eaten a buttered monkey! Or maybe you’re familiar with the idiom, “Hungry as a horse.” Or, “I could eat the leg off a donkey!” You get the idea…my backbone was gnawing on my stomach bone, as the old saying goes. When I breathed in the aroma of fried (I do live in the south) zucchini and mushrooms, my mouth began to water. I already had my trusty side of ranch dressing to accompany for dipping purposes. (Ranch dressing and ketchup are just fundamentals in dipping sauces, aren’t they?)  I immediately popped a zucchini wedge into my mouth. It burned a little. Served me right, though. I had thoughtlessly eaten my initial bounty without thanking God for His blessing first. It’s always a good idea to say a quick blessing of gratitude prior to partaking of a meal. I felt guilty. Before my next bite, I bowed my head and asked for forgiveness; I thanked God for His provision.
Ya’ see, the thing is, my body was on empty! Literally. In my mind I was about to starve. I had gone too long without food. I was on the verge of getting a headache. I could feel my stomach grumbling. I was getting edgy. I was ready, more than ready, for some food! I may have eaten my napkin if I had waited too much longer – so my mind told me.
How about spiritually speaking? Are you empty on the inside? How long do you go before eating from the Lord’s table? Are you empty in general? Maybe there’s something undefined that is missing in your life…maybe not. But ask yourself, “Am I hungry for God? Do I need to fill up my spiritual fuel tank?’’
Lots of people seem to assume that Christians have everything they need at all times, therefore, they do not experience typical emotions. This isn’t true. Christians face the same emotions, feelings, and conflicts as non-Believers. If you’ve read my blog for any length of time, you’ll recall that I’ve said Christians may actually experience MORE trials, difficulties, and heartaches than the ‘average’ individual. The simple difference is that as Christians, we have Jesus! We have God’s Word for guidance. We have HIM to turn to when we’re getting low – when our tank is close to empty! We understand we’re not to be weary in well doing (Galatians 6:9) but the body and the soul can get tired. I want to encourage you to press on! Keep going for God! He will bless you for your faithfulness. Just because people may not SEE or appreciate what you do or who you are, doesn’t mean that God doesn’t see. He DOES see. John 14:6 tells us that He is “the Way, the Truth, and the Life.”
We have a large Camp Meeting at our church each year – it’s coming up soon. Quite often we hear from ministers, missionaries, and pastors across the south and mid-west that they are blessed by it – not because of our hospitality and good food - but largely because they need refueling! They need God’s food! They need the encouragement and blessing of fellowship. They need to feel and partake in an atmosphere filled with the Spirit of God. Their gas tank needs filling!
And like one could expect, anything that can go wrong, does go wrong the week or two before Camp Meeting! I truly believe it is a direct tool of the adversary – to get our eyes off of the Lord, and onto manmade circumstances!  I encourage you to stay away from the world’s way of dealing with emptiness. Careers, fancy clothes, expensive automobiles, alcohol and pills, popularity, titles, and ‘power’ have no heavenly value whatsoever. Serving on boards and volunteering in various charities serve no true worth if not done through Christ. Our works within ‘self’ will fall short!
For example, I know one person who divides herself among 7 or 8 different committees revolving around charitable organizations. She’s busy at least 3 nights per week with various fund-raising functions. I’m not passing judgment, it isn’t my place, but how could that be pleasing to God? (Reminder: Good works doesn’t equate to eternal rewards.) To miss the house of God on a regular basis to be at a sporting event for troubled youth? The cause is a good one – but causes and organizations should never replace our necessary worship of God. It’s our daily food. We need Him daily. The body needs food daily. Spiritual and physical.
The fact as I see it is that only ONE thing can replace emptiness within anyone. That thing is the love of Jesus. (Any internal chasm is the result of our lack of personal relationship with Him).
 Maybe you’re not a naturally big eater?? I encourage you ‘to snack’ throughout the day – on bits and pieces of God. Through Godly music. Christian blogs. A paragraph or two from the Bible. Fellowship with other Christians. A sermon found online. A daily devotion. Writing out a ‘blessings list.’ God’s food will fill you up like nothing else!
Look UP my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment