Friday, August 9, 2013

Blue Birds, Sparrows, & Starbucks

"Said the robin to the sparrow, 'I should really like to know why these anxious human beings rush about and worry so.? Said the sparrow to the robin, 'Friend, I think that it must be that they have no Heavenly Father such as cares for you and me.”  Quite profound if you think about it! I love that quote.
One recent occasion, while sitting on a family member’s porch, I saw a father blue bird, a house finch, feed all four or five of his babies, not missing any one of them. We really enjoyed watching him fly from tree to nest, and then back again from nest to tree. Over and over. He didn't necessarily go in the same order, but everybody ate. Her kids kept track of the egg hatching and the baby birds’ growth, as did their mother, and without fail, every single one of those five babies were fed on each food-trip by the father bird. It wouldn’t take long, and about forty or fifty mouthfuls would be consumed in short order! Baby birds are hungry!  The family thought, "Now where did this really come from?" There's no way he could have had as much as five mouthfuls in his beak. They figured out that he was regurgitating, which as gross as it sounds to humans, is what many birds do to feed their babies.  Note: this father bird was dedicated to his family. He was an excellent example to his babies and anyone watching his life!
As we sat under the cool breeze of the porch, she and I spoke about who taught father bird to help mama bird feed their kids. How did he know to assist in this process so diligently? Who taught mama and father bird how to make the nest? Who taught them how to weave it together? I couldn't do it in 100 years - build a nest out of straw and sticks and twigs and make it so neatly round and perfectly crafted. Who taught the birds that they had to sit on the eggs and feed the babies when they appeared? Who gave father bird the instinct to provide for his family?  Without a doubt, it was and is our Heavenly Father.  God, Almighty! His eye is on the sparrow, but we also know that He watches us…He cares for His children!
It's a wonderful thing to think about what Jesus said about sparrows.  He watches them, and how much more does He watch over us! It's very reassuring. It's one of the sweet little truths (encouragements!)  that we receive from the Holy Scripture.
Let me share a true story about how God used one of my favorite hymns of all time...You probably know it.

As told by John Thomas Oaks, "It was chilly in Manhattan but warm inside the Starbucks shop on 51st Street and Broadway, just a skip up from Times Square. For a musician, it's the most lucrative Starbucks location in the world, I'm told, and consequently, the tips can be substantial if you play your tunes right."

"He was playing keyboard and singing backup for a friend who also added rhythm with an arsenal of percussion instruments. During an emotional rendition of a popular song, he noticed a lady sitting in one of the lounge chairs across from him. She was swaying to the beat and singing along. After the tune was over, she approached him. "I apologize for singing along on that song. Did it bother you?" she asked.
"No," he replied. "We love it when the audience joins in. Would you like to sing up front on the next selection?" To his delight, she accepted my invitation. "You choose," he said. "What are you in the mood to sing?"
"Well... do you know any hymns?"

Hymns? This woman didn't know who she was dealing with. John Oaks had cut his teeth on hymns. Before he was even born, he was going to church. He gave our guest singer a knowing look. "Name one."

"Oh, I don't know. There are so many good ones. You pick one."
"Okay," he replied. "How about 'His Eye is on the Sparrow'?"
His new friend was silent, her eyes averted. Then she fixed her eyes on mine again and said, "Yeah. Let's do that one.”  She slowly nodded her head, put down her purse, straightened her jacket and faced the center of the shop. With a quick keyboard setup, she began to sing.
Why should I be discouraged?
Why should the shadows come?

The audience of coffee drinkers was transfixed.
I sing because I'm happy;
I sing because I'm free.

For His eye is on the sparrow
And I know He watches me.

When the last note was sung, the crescendo of applause went to a deafening roar. Embarrassed, the woman tried to shout over the people, "Oh, y'all go back to your coffee! I didn't come in here to do a concert! I just came in here to get somethin' to drink, just like you!"

But the ovation continued.  John embraced my new friend. "You, my dear, have made my whole year! That was beautiful!" 
"It's funny that you picked that particular hymn," she said.
"Why is that?"
She hesitated again, "that was my daughter's favorite song." She grabbed his hands. By this time, the applause had subsided and it was business as usual. "She was 16. She died of a brain tumor last week."

John said the first thing that found its way through the silence. "Are you going to be okay?"
She smiled through tear-filled eyes and squeezed his hands. "I'm gonna be okay. I've just got to keep trusting the Lord and singing his songs, and everything's gonna be just fine." She picked up her bag, gave him her card, and then she was gone."

As far as I know, John and the mystery lady never saw each other again...
Be of good cheer, Christian friend...God watches over His children and His sparrows!

Look UP my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment