Monday, August 26, 2013

Everyone is Busy


Our being is silent, but our existence is noisy.
--Thomas Merton

If I had to choose one word to describe the Christian today…it might be busy! I cannot think of any one day, other than Sunday, that people might be able to enjoy some true quiet time. Sometimes finding 5 minutes of unobtrusive time in such a fast paced life seems downright impossible! Retired, teenager, middle-age, youth, senior saint…everyone is so busy!

As I type this, the clock on the screen says 4:23 a.m. I am physically tired; conceptually tired, but not sleepy. I cannot blame the diet soda that I drank with my supper. I cannot say it is anyone or anything’s fault. I am feeling peaceful yet determined as I listen to the slight humming noise of the ceiling fan. I can hear our dog making muffled noises in her sleep; one of our cats is curled in a ball on the rocking chair. As I think over this week’s “to do” list, I began to meditate on how much strength and grace the Lord provides while we’re busy leading our go-go-go lives. It’s a good thing that while we may get exhausted at times, God never gets exhausted! His power is limitless. His grace is beyond all limitations!

Even our spiritual lives are often too busy, aren’t they? Or maybe I should better say that our spiritual lives can be busy AND loud. Let’s use caution within our Christian busy-ness. Let’s refrain from applauding ourselves for being “church busy.” (Myself included). If we feel a need to boast about our actions, then we probably have too much ego involved to be a genuine blessing to someone else. (That ole’ ego is a slippery fellow! He’ll slip right in there and ruin a good thing!)

As I read the Word of God this morning, my thoughts turned to Psalm 46:10 “Be still and know that I am God.”  I see Him saying “Be Quiet” more than He says “Be Busy.” (Not that we shouldn’t be working and doing for the cause of Christ!) But, even in our actions, our activity, we may need to be soft. Noiseless. Inaudible.

A Quiet Influence for Our Families ~ The apostle Paul wrote to the church in Thessalonica (1 Thessalonians 4:11) And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you. One famous minister says, "You will have much more influence on the world if you do it quietly, than if you stand in the road yelling and screaming."  It is usually best not to “beat someone over the head” with our faith. We can speak volumes without having said a single word. For example, I know I can influence my husband in quiet ways. Perhaps your spouse is much more likely to be influenced if you do things gently. With love.  

A Poem by Deborah Ann Belka

A feeling of quiet peace,
a restfulness deep inside
the presence of such calm
is when God is at my side.

Around me, there’s a storm,
that resembles a rumbling sea
yet, that feeling of tranquility
still flourishes inside me.

A feeling of quiet peace,
a serenity that flows about
the presence of His holiness
I can feel it surge throughout.

While the sea may be stormy,
as it rages through my mind
my heart is calmly reassured
His quietness is mine to find.

A feeling of quiet peace,
a calmness that far exceeds
all my wishes and desires
for, God surpasses all my needs.

Psalm 29:11 (KJV)
“The Lord will give strength unto his people; the Lord will bless his people with peace.”


Look UP my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment