Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Choosing To Be Joyful


Your eyes are not deceiving you. Dyed sheep! In Scotland. Of course! (smile) Why spray-paint sheep red? “They are causing quite a stir with passers-by,” according to farmer Andrew Jack, who further explained “It is a bit of fun and it does brighten things up.” Aye, so it do!
Freshly dyed sheep run in view of the highway near Bathgate, Scotland. There’s something about it - I just love it! (I would really like to see this fascinating sight myself!) The sheep farmer has been dyeing his sheep with a nontoxic dye since 2007 to entertain passing motorists. Just for joy. For the fun of it. To bring a little light into someone else’s day. I love that quality, don’t you?!

Here’s a silly little poem I wrote about being joyful…

I am Joyful
I am joyful when everything goes my way

But can I be joyful for a whole entire day?

I am joyful when things seem to be working out

But when the adversary hinders me, do I readily whine and pout?

God knows the things I’m fearful of; He knows the things I dream

He knows my true thoughts, my exact self…He knows what blessings to bring!

It’s great to be joyful – and it’s gracious gift to just be you

After all, who can be happy during the day, if they’re sad, weary, and blue?

 
I’m usually the lady in the grocery store or box-warehouse pushing the buggy with the broken, squeaky wheel. Maybe you’re familiar with that sensation?

This morning I went into a big hardware store to pick up a few supplies for work. I hesitated as to which buggy to choose. It was intuitive. I don’t just grab ANY random cart anymore. Put some effort into it, girl!  I thought, “No, I was going to reach for the one of the left. But I’m going to be sharp and grab the one on the right. Victory will be mine! No squeaky wheels!” I felt confident as I passed through the large double doors. I just knew I had achieved a small triumph within my small day. After all, it was a glossy, clean, buggy. It certainly looked like it was in good shape compared to its crowded neighbors.

I was wrong. Boy, was I wrong! I hadn’t walked 3 feet before the buggy began screeching, squawking, and spinning in all directions. I froze. Tested it again. It seemed to be shouting, “Look at me! Look at me! Look at this nincompoop who thought she could fool the buggy universe!”

What’s a lady to do? I hunkered my pride down and proceeded with the search of V-6 batteries (whatever that is). I was determined not to let this “buggy” put me into a negative mindset.

As I rounded my 2nd isle, looking for the elusive batteries (Side Note: who knew they wouldn’t be located within the battery section, but in the lighting section?) I noticed a strange man approaching me. I tried to avoid approaching him directly – I scooted to the side as best I could. He proceeded to touch his buggy to MY buggy! This is certainly not buggy etiquette. Not to me, at least. My lady proprietress was being tested.

I guess he saw my awkward facial expression. In a very kind voice, he says, “Ma’am, if that buggy gets any louder, they’re going to make you leave. I was trying to bring you a new one.”

Hahaha! He was an employee! That struck me as hilarious. What could have and should have been a nuisance, really brought a bit of joy into my day. The employee certainly offered a bit of light into my small struggle as well. I accepted his kind gift.

I watched as his co-workers hackled him all the way back to the paint section.

Random acts of kindness. A demonstration of compassion. An unexpected compliment. An anonymous gesture of love. Something for fun. Trying to be a light to others. Those are noteworthy blessings!

Make a choice to be joyful – really full of joy!

Look UP my friends!

1 comment:

  1. The initial picture isn't of the Bathgate sheep. No idea really where it is, but it's definitely not Bathgate (there aren't any snow covered mountains nearby like that in the background).

    These are the real Bathgate sheep http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_QHIOEmdsPqI/RhKwGE5oe8I/AAAAAAAAAP8/7305NecSysQ/s1600-h/red.jpg

    And this is the real location http://goo.gl/maps/ET5am

    I really wish people would stop posting inaccurate stuff on the internet.

    ReplyDelete