Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Bethany's Testimony

Sometimes it is helpful, supportive, and ministerial to our soul to learn about someone else’s personal testimony – the things God brought them through.  You’ve read the saying, “What God brings you to – He’ll bring you through! I’ve learned what that means to someone else recently. Testimonies offer us hope! They foster a belief that if they can overcome it; we can too!  With that said, please allow me introduce you to Bethany. She is a wife, mother, insurance analyst, and last but not least a born-again Believer in Jesus Christ. She is 41 years young.  I asked her several questions; took lots of notes; wiped away several tears, and asked for permission to share her life.

What her life was like BEFORE accepting Christ as her personal Savior?  Before I received Christ I was in the deepest, blackest, most bitter darkness caused by a childhood of abuse--physical, psychological, and sexual. Any kind of abuse you can think of…I survived it.  It came from a person I was supposed to trust the most...my dad. I remember the mind games and the fear he kept me in. I remember very vividly the lies and the manipulation. He hurt me constantly. My life was miserable. I could not escape my pain. It was daily.”

How She Came to Faith in Jesus  “My childhood pain took a great toll on me. I paid a price for what someone else did. I grew up – like millions of kids do – we grow up! What I experienced at the hands of my mentally ill dad was unforgivable. It was the worst pain imaginable. But I realized I needed a Savior. I was 13 years old, but I knew I needed Him more than anything else in my life. The pain that I experienced was nothing compared to watching the pain in my mom’s eyes. I tried to keep her from harm – but mostly the violence and the torture got worse as I  grew older. I didn’t know how to cope – I made bad choices back then – with my body, with alcohol. I tried to go to church to be closer to God, but my dad stopped me every time he could. I didn’t think I was good enough to know Jesus – but I came to understand He loved me anyway.”

How My Faith Has Made a Difference   My faith in God has made the biggest and best difference in my life. The Lord has gotten me through some really rough times. I’ve blamed myself a lot. I’ve blamed others a lot. I used to carry my abuse around with me. I couldn’t shake it off. It was like a backpack, going with me everywhere I went. I felt labeled. I felt different. God has saved my life more times than I can tell you. I don’t want to waste it! My only wish is that through my testimony that someone else may be helped. I want people to know that regardless of our scars, it is through HIS stripes that we are healed! It is through HIS blood that I am made clean. Our sin can be made as white as snow! Once I finally stopped arguing with God about whether or not He could love me… I finally accepted Him. I don’t hide from my shame anymore. Jesus gave me a new freedom and a new love for living! I am thankful that I met a Christian man, and we raise our daughter in a Christian atmosphere. God really CAN bless us beyond anything we ever imagined. I’m living proof of that! Stupid things we do in our teen years doesn’t mean our adulthood will be wasted.”

Lessons Bethany Learned
·         Trust God – with everything.
·         Don’t label yourself by your past sin
·         Love people – not just people you like (That's a hard one!)
·         Never believe the lies of satan
·         Share your testimony – you’ll be surprised how much it helps others
·         Don't live in self pity.
·         Be humble – don’t think of yourself as better than your neighbor
·         Don't be overly critical – you don’t know what others’ are going through
·         Guard your tongue – especially when angry

I think it’s a good idea to remember these valuable life lessons! It brings to mind the old hymn…”What can wash away my sin? Nothing but the Blood of Jesus. What can make me whole again? Nothing but the Blood of Jesus! O’ precious is the flow!”
A Short Prayer:  Heavenly Father, In the name of your Son, Jesus, we thank you for all blessings. You are the giver of all grace! We thank you for the breath that sustains us. Help us to give you all glory with each breath we take! Thank you for breaking our bonds through the blood of the Lamb! We praise you for the gift of deliverance from that which is evil. Thank you again for the love of family and friends who make our life more joyful. We praise you! In Jesus’ name, Amen.
Look UP my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment