Monday, August 5, 2013

I Was In Boiling Water


 
I received a massive fright less than 48 hours ago. Truly, I had a split-second vision of hospitalizations, skin grafts, and Diabetic foot ulcers. I was plain ole’ scared! But just for a moment. With that said, sit back for a pause, and let me tell you just how good God is!
Even though supermarkets and grocery stores have made canning almost obsolete and unnecessary, it is a wonderful feeling (and taste!) when preserving food yourself. The results are much tastier and organic. I have a family member who was a prolific canner for several decades - green beans, spaghetti sauce, apple sauce, tomatoes, bread and butter pickles, dill pickles, blackberry jam, sauerkraut, ketchup, grape jelly and everything else you can think of that one would grow in the foothills of the mountains of North Carolina.  I cannot tell you how many gallons of beans, pickles, tomatoes, and corn I helped process for home canning! So, this Saturday I found myself starting the process for strawberry jam and peach preserves.
I did my research before I started – felt good about recalling what I needed to re-learn and what new skills I would glean. For those of you who like to do your own home canning or have your parents or grandparents who “can food” from their summer harvest from a garden, you’ll know what I mean when I say I had my “large 21 quart canning pot” at a FULL rolling boil. Aaahhh – a beautiful site to the home sous-chef!

I needed to pour the water out for sterilization purposes. Off to the sink I went…Where all 21 quarts of liquid lava, in water format, gushed over both of my legs, both feet, and torso in the instant of a second! My left hand had dropped the pot without my even realizing it. I felt the sting and the burn all the way down my body. It was a pain so intense it froze me to the floor. I didn’t step back for fear our little cat would be scalded with 2nd degree burns too. I wondered if my robe had somehow caught on fire?! That’s how much it burned initially. Were my feet scalded to the floor? Those thoughts were running through my mind. After I composed myself (still not moving) I made sure the pot was actually in the sink and not on the ground. My mind was swirling with a hundred thoughts at once. In point of fact I thought to myself, “Well, I’ve ruined the hardwood floors. At least Lola (the cat) is okay. I’ve scorched my rug.  I’ve burnt my flesh off – don’t look at your feet and legs yet. I’ll clean up this mess, and then we’ll go to the hospital.”
I was composed (thank God!). Walked slowly and gingerly over to my husband in the next room. I sedately said, “I’ve scalded myself. I think I need your help for a second.” I didn’t want to overly shock him when he saw the damages! He automatically jumped up and ran to my aide. He sprinted and got 3 big towels from the closet – threw them over the water pooling on the floor. I tried to help clean up with paper towels and more bath towels…he ‘shooed me’ away and lovingly told me he would take care of it; for me to go sit down.

When I finally gathered up the courage to look at my legs and feet – I fully and resignedly knew that I would see peeled flesh and blisters on my skin. In the 10 minutes before I assessed the damage, I had accepted that God would help heal me. I talked with him during the aftermath of it all. I had thanked Him for helping me to remain calm.

I tenderly lifted the hymn of my skirt…to reveal pink but otherwise healthy skin. No red, angry, blistered, or broken wounds! I couldn’t believe it. (I did mention that the water was at a full, rolling boil, right? Water boils at 212° F!) I then walked to the bedroom; changed into a robe to complete a deeper inspection. The nurse within me knew something wasn’t right!

I cannot explain it. All I can say is God’s loving hand of protection covered me! I took two over-the-counter pain meds. I drank extra (cold) water before going to sleep. I applied a layer of balm to my feet and legs with vitamin E oil. That was the extent of my self-determined home remedies. The next morning, there was absolutely NO external appearance of being burned whatsoever! My feet were stiff and tingly, but I could and can walk fine. So no heels for morning church service -- no big deal! I was blessed to be able to even wear shoes! By the evening service, any and all discomfort was entirely gone.

Now, what I didn’t share yet, is that earlier in the afternoon I had very spontaneously purchased first-aid supplies. Mainly to keep on hand for our three active and vivacious Godsons. On a divinely interventional whim, I had added bandages and Vitamin E oil to my basket. (You KNOW there is a reason for everything! God had impressed upon my heart to make that purchase, having no idea I would actually use it on myself).

And here’s the second divine intervention…I had waited until late into the evening on Saturday to do my first attempt at canning. I decided to go ahead and take a shower while the water was heating up in the canning pot. I couldn’t find any lotion anywhere! (For me, that was a big deal. I’m a bit of a lotion, potion, and cosmetic enthusiast!) After I was thoroughly disgruntled, I remembered the vitamin E oil in the first-aid kit! “Better than nothing,” I thought! I had liberally applied the oil to my legs and feet (as brittle Diabetics do….we take excellent care of our feet).

Now, I know scientifically, the Vitamin E oil helped created a slight barrier between me and the boiling water. But I know in GOD’s WAY…He had lined up my purchases, my timing, my lotion or lack thereof, and my protection! He is a mighty GOOD God! He is more than wonderful! His protection is no coincidence, my friends!

One Final Notation:  The rubber on the back of the kitchen rug melted – that tells you how incredibly hot the water was. The hardwood floors and my feet and legs are just great though! Amen! I posted a pic for you to see this real-life miracle. And the damage to my skin where there was NO Vitamin E applied beforehand…it is perfectly healthy too! Miraculous!

What God taught me boils down to this (pun intended)…Be obedient. God uses everything in our lives for a purpose! Boiling water is dangerous. Boiling water without God...lethal!

Look UP my friends!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment