Monday, March 11, 2013

This Little Light of Mine...

John 8:12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
When our niece was little, we used to spend an enormous amount of time together – doodling in the kitchen, playing games as a family, talking, snuggling on the bed together watching television, going shopping, or just being outside with the pets. But as kids do in rites of passage, once she turned thirteen, she preferred being in her own room, talking on the phone, or spending time with her friends independently.
I knew it was a part of growing up, but it sure did make my heart ache sometimes. Part of me still misses the days when we’d curl up with a bowl of popcorn to talk with each other.
One stormy night, the electricity went out. “Ugh, I hate this!” she whimpered from her room. Grabbing candles and a flashlight, I headed for her room. Soon we were draped in tented shadows and moonbeam images underneath the blankets on her bed. It’s amazing how comforting a flashlight can be! Life Moment – like the light from our Savior! He can break through any shadow of darkness. He is the Light to a lost and dark world!
“Tell me stories about when I was a baby,” she said. Soon I was recreating memories and images of times gone by and we were giggling and snuggling together like when she was a young child. The phone abruptly rang. “Yeah, our power is out. I’m hanging with my aunt Kimmie. I’ll call you back.”
Music to my ears! Tears filled my eyes. It was in that moment I realized the power outage didn’t just leave us in the dark, it gave us an opportunity to see each other in a different light. Through the darkness came a gift.
The Christian is a bright light in a dark world. Ever tried to use a flashlight when the sun is shining? It doesn’t work very well. There has to be darkness present for the light to be seen. Darkness seems to be covering the world. Have you ever seen such a lack of morals as we see today? In many places morals are a thing of the past. Men’s consciousness has been scorched. Who would have thought that we would live in such lewdness and licentiousness as we do today?
But let’s be reminded of the Good News! The Christian has Good News to bring…it is a simple message. Jesus Christ is Lord of Lords, King of Kings, and He is coming back for His children. What better time than the month of Easter to pause and reflect on the resurrection! How amazing and wonderful to serve a risen Savior! I cannot say it enough… He’s coming again!
Our primary purpose isn’t to make money or climb the career ladder – rather, it is to be a light for Jesus! Let your light shine! What does this mean? Consider the following:
I)                    The Christian shines a light on the fact that Jesus lives!
II)                  The Christian shines a light on the fact that religion doesn’t mean salvation.
III)                The Christian shines a light on the fact that by HIS stripes we are healed!
IV)               The Christian shines a light on the fact Jesus paid for all sin – past, present, future.

I encourage you to be a bright light in a dark place somewhere this week!

Look UP my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment