Monday, March 4, 2013

Consistent in our Walk

"Oh, what a happy soul I am, / captionhough I cannot see! / I am resolved that in this world / Contented I will be."
Do you know of the prolific and fruitful Francis Jane Crosby? She put pen to paper more than 8,000 Christian hymns, some of which are among the greatest and most admired in every Christian place of worship. She wrote so many that she was obligatory to use pen names lest the hymnals be filled with her name, more than anyone else’s. (I doubt publishers would have been thrilled either). However, for most people, the most extraordinary thing about Francis Jane Crosby was that she had done such great work when she couldn’t see. Fanny was blind.

“Fanny” was born in New York. Unfortunately, she became ill at 2 months of age. The family’s local doctor was away, and another chap—pretending to be a certified doctor—treated her by prescribing hot mustard poultices to be applied to her eyes. Her illness eventually healed, but the dubious treatment left her blind. Permanently. When the doctor was revealed to be an imposter, he went underground. His whereabouts were never discovered. It is questioned how many babies and adults were so irresponsibly treated and possibly scarred for life. Shortly thereafter, her father passed away. Her mother was then forced to find work as a maid to support the family, and Fanny was mostly raised by her Christian grandmother. Life Moment: Lots of babies and children are exposed to the Bible on grandma’s knee. What a beautiful gift! In Fanny Crosby's Memories of Eighty Years, her autobiography, she speaks most tenderly of her grandmother. She says: "She was a woman of exemplary piety, and a firm believer in prayer. At even time she often used to call me to her dear old rocking-chair, where we would kneel and pray together."

Sometimes people speak without thinking – foot in mouth syndrome as I call it. (Please think before you speak! Hit your mute button before your criticize others.) "I think it is a great pity that the Master did not give you sight when he showered so many other gifts upon you," remarked one well-meaning Presbyterian minister. Fanny replied at once, as she had heard such comments numerous times before, "Do you know that if at birth I had been able to make one petition, it would have been that I was born blind?" said this Christian who had been able to see so few weeks of her life. "Because when I get to heaven, the first face that shall ever gladden my sight will be that of my Savior." (Life Moment: Wow! The first face she saw was the face of Jesus!  (She lived from 1820 – 1915) This thrills me and blesses me. She didn’t hold a grudge against the prank physician – it is obvious to me that she forgave him. Can you imagine your FIRST glimpse of heaven? The FIRST glimpse of our Lord?

At the age of 8 Fanny wrote these words…
Oh, what a happy soul I am,
captionhough I cannot see!
I am resolved that in this world
Contented I will be.
How many blessings I enjoy
That other people don't,
To weep and sigh because I'm blind
I cannot, and I won't!
Life Moment: I learned that Fanny did not feel sorry for herself! She chose to count her pain as a blessing – her challenges as temporary circumstances. She took the “high road” in life! We’ve heard it before, but attitude makes ALL the difference.

It is well documented that Fanny loved the Bible. She memorized at least five chapters a week, even as a youngster she could readily deliver the Four Gospels, Proverbs, the Song of Solomon, and many psalms chapter and verse. Life Moment: I’m feeling a little guilty here. Are you? We should ALL strive to memorize more of God’s Word.
Perhaps you are familiar with these songs (0nly to name a few) so beautifully written by Fanny ~~
Pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior
Blessed Assurance, Jesus is Mine
Jesus, Keep Me Near the Cross
I am Thine, Oh Lord, I Have Heard Thy Voice
Rescue the Perishing
Thou My Everlasting Portion
Near the Cross

Let us look to Fanny Crosby as an example of an effective witness for Jesus. You certainly knew Who Mrs. Crosby loved! Her speech and actions reflected Him.

We should make good choices, live wisely, in a way that is reflective of being a Christian, saved by Jesus!  As I’ve stated before, we also need to be careful about our speech, so that the things we say will lead to conversations about God. Part of the challenge as a Christian is to be steadfast in our walk!
People have seen our less flattering side. People have been exposed to the “ugliness” in our lives. Therefore, living as a Christian before them, showing them how you have changed and what it means, takes time (maybe even years) of exertion but can also be the most powerful witness. I’m sure you know people, as do I, who have been turned off from accepting Jesus into their lives because of someone’s hurtful actions – careless speech – rude mannerisms. People are sometimes unkind without knowing it! Don’t give someone this excuse for NOT attending God’s House of worship! Be wise, fellow Christian! We must "Rescue the perishing! Care for the dying!" as Fanny so brilliantly penned.

When our witness and our speech propel others to ask us about our faith, we need to take the opportunity to tell them the Good News about Christ Jesus! When we do speak about it though, we need to be gracious and generous, polite and gentle, non-argumentative, kind in spirit.  We do need to tell them the truth, but in an appropriate way. I think it is particularly important not to “bark” at friends and family members but cleanly answer questions in a caring, creative and straightforward way. Don’t shy away from your convictions and what the Bible says…but demonstrate honesty and compassion at these important impasses.
If we want to attract our loved ones to believe in Jesus, again, we must live wisely – consistent in our walk; loving. Others will be encouraged in faith by OUR living in faith.
Look UP my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment