Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Things I'm Hopeful For

I’m in the middle of a self-imposed hiatus from blogging right now. I often struggle to find quiet time with God. I try to “detox” myself from the ‘outside world’ every few months, so that I can open my mind and my heart to what God is showing me. I make notes, jot things down, study the Scriptures more in-depth, and just try to listen to the essence of God within my own heart and mind. (I often think I must be a poor student, because I sometimes need to learn the same lesson more than once! Do you ever find yourself saying that? I should have learned this the first time? I’m thankful He is a patient and sovereign Lord.) I had planned not to post anything until October 1st – which is right around the corner. But, God impressed upon my heart today, that I needed to do a little writing, so here I am.

Today is my birthday. I love celebrating birthdays! Little things – a note – a text – a silly picture – cake and ice cream – a meal out with family. You name it! I’m for it. I hope you enjoy your birthdays too! They’re special.  I think it is important to be appreciative and grateful to God each year, for all that HE has given us. Birthdays are an opportunity to thank God for what He has blessed us with. It is a chance to be hopeful for the year ahead, and birthdays are an opportunity to be optimistic about the life God has brought you to.

I have written down several things I’m hopeful about – several things I’m thankful for. The list is not all inclusive, but I felt like I needed to share some of my list…

I’m hopeful for good health. I’m hopeful the number of kids in “my” Sunday school class will grow. I’m hopeful my husband’s ministry will be a continued blessing to people. I’m hopeful that the Gospel will go out into all the world, and that people will accept Jesus as their Savior. I apply hope when I think about the wickedness of man – hoping people will ultimately do the right thing. I still hope people will do what’s right! I’m hopeful that evil will not prevail. I’m hopeful that the light of the Christian will not be snuffed out by jealousy and competitiveness. I am hopeful that God’s children will worship Him in a manner which pleases Him. I remain hopeful that nice guys don’t always finish last.

I’m hopeful that idolatry isn’t at practice within modern day churches. I’m hopeful that we will keep our eyes off earthly man and focused on God. I’m eternally hopeful that corrupt behaviors should be exposed, but can be forgiven. I remain hopeful, that people can see my heart. I’m hopeful they see my husband’s servant’s heart. I’m hopeful that our Christian walk makes a difference. I remain hopeful, because Jesus Himself gives me hope. HE is hope for the hopeless.

Jotting things down helps me to be more aware of just how blessed I am. Yet, I find myself with a heaviness of heart today. Maybe it comes as reaction to attending a church member’s funeral earlier this afternoon (a sweet, kind gentleman). Perhaps it is family pressures. Job situations. People dynamics.  It’s just fair to say, when those we love are hurting, it hurts us too. Today is a difficult day in some aspects, but I recognize that I am fully blessed…I do not want my own weaknesses to distract from the goodness of God.

This is my prayer:

Heavenly Father, in the name of Jesus, I bow before you. Humbly. Thankfully. This earth, this world, this generation, sure seems dark right now. I sense coldness. I feel a drawing away from that which is warm and comforting within people. I usually can see the bright side of given situations, but the bright side seems dimmer lately. People seem to be walking on egg shells. There’s a lack of genuine love among people.  I discern divisiveness. There seems to be anger and hostility toward your true Followers. There’s unreasonable competition and questionable motives. Help me not to see any of what man may do – Help me to keep my eyes on YOU. You alone.  We need your intercessory power. Oh, Lord Jesus, please display your Light within the darkest caverns. We are weary. Not in well-doing, but weary in the flesh of man. I am, like those that have bowed before you in martyrdom, kneeling at the Cross of Calvary. Heal us, help us, and strengthen us. Help us to keep ‘carrying on’ for you many more years. Amen.

Look UP my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment