Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Pancakes on Sunday

I wanted to cook something special for my husband Sunday morning. I don’t usually prepare a large breakfast on Sunday, so as not to run late for Sunday school. It’s not a very good role model if the teacher runs consistently late, so I try my best to avoid my “5 minutes late” lifestyle on the Lord’s Day. Yet, the first Sunday of the month is a big “work day” for my hubby, so I wanted to start his day off well.

With that said, I went about assembling my items: Eggs, milk, canola oil, vanilla, blueberries, 1 lemon, and a box of gluten free pancake flour I had unexpectedly found at the grocery store. (I wasn’t sure how the gluten free flour would taste, so I thought if I doctored it up to make a batch of blueberry-lemon pancakes, then the potential “healthy” taste would be masked. The gluten allergy is my thing, not my husband’s).

I pulled out my big wooden bowl, my ladling spoon, and the large heavy skillet I needed. I poured some oil into the pan. I prefer the pan to be “good and hot.”  I like to hear the sizzle of batter as it initially hits the pan.

As I proceeded to pour oil into the flour mixture, I looked over to the counter and noticed I had left a floury trail on the countertop, my dress, and the floor. No idea how that happened! I thought I was being careful. I don’t know what happened next, but as I cracked the eggs, I also knew two pieces of the shell had landed smack-dab in the middle of the batter! I found myself getting frustrated as I went to the cupboard for a spoon. What I had intended to be a relaxing and fulfilling meal, was suddenly a monumental mess.

Just then, I saw hubby standing at the door. He was watching me. He walked over, popped a blueberry into his mouth, and gave me a kiss on the cheek. “Thanks for going through the extra trouble this morning, you didn’t have to,” he said.  With a squeeze on my arm, a kind word, and a brief acknowledgement he left the room to finish his Sunday morning preparations.

This little snapshot into our Sunday morning routine, got me to thinking... That's how God deals with us sometimes. We try to do something noble in life, but it veers into a mess. HE is there to offer us comfort - an encouraging Word. He’ll set straight what went crooked. Many times our marriage relationship, our job, among other things, gets all sticky and messy (we insult a friend, or we can't stand our job at a particular moment or our health declines or our feeling s are hurt). Sometimes we just stand there for a second, fighting back tears because we don’t know what else to do. It’s at that moment that God picks us up. Comforts His child. That's when God reaches down and forgives us, even though some of our mess gets all over Him.

Just because we might get messy, we can't stop trying to "make pancakes" for others. It’s through our messes that God has opportunity to clean us up! Sooner or later we'll get it right, and then you’ll be glad you tried.

Outcome of our gluten free pancakes? They turned out great.

Look UP my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment