Thursday, October 3, 2013

Your Scent!

I forced myself to clean out a closet in our upstairs bedroom several weeks ago. While I was only half-heartedly tossing items into the “Goodwill” box, I came across a small tattered box that I had written the word “L-O-V-E” on with a thick magic marker. At that moment, I did not remember what was inside at all.
As I opened the two center pieces of cardboard – I instantly recognized my own hand writing.  My eyes began to tear up. My heart caught in my throat for just a second.  I knew what I had discovered – again. Inside was precious cargo!
My husband had saved several love notes that I had given him when we were dating, first married, and a few more recent cards and notes written over the years.
The subtle waft of Estee Lauder’s fragrance, Beautiful, barely permeated my senses. You see, when we were first married, I would spray a tiny bit of perfume on my love notes to him. I wanted him to connect the scent with me. To deepen my presence as he read the words I had penned. I inhaled slowly. I savored the moment as my eyes enjoyed the small collection of intimate communications between husband and wife. Those notes are our love story!
He made a comment once that stuck with me – He said he loved the way my closet smelled. He said it reminded him after a hot, stinky, sweaty, hard day at work – that God had blessed him with a sweet smelling wife. (I know that probably sounds extremely corny, but it meant a lot to me). I’ve changed signature fragrances over the last 20+ years, but I do like to smell good when possible. I enjoy smelling nice for my husband. A nice aroma invites people in a little closer, just as something malodorous offends the senses. (There comes a time in everyone’s life when you realize that our bodies were not created to have a natural, sweet smell all of the time).
Go to camp with teenagers, and you’ll quickly see who refuses to listen to their noses. Live with a teenage boy? Then you understand how quickly holding your breath may be necessary. A body without deodorant or thorough washing doesn’t take too long to break down – and it often leads to great displeasure for those around “the stinky” people.  (Life Moment: Why is it that the stinky person doesn’t seem to notice their own stench? There’s something to think about there!)
God tells us in the King James Bible – Genesis 8:21, And the Lord smelled a sweet savour; and the Lord said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.
 So, God DOES enjoy sweet smelling aromas. (You understand  I’m not referencing baked goods or earthly items – I’m speaking of heavenly things).
I want to encourage you to apply God’s Word in your life – sort of like we do deodorant! A type of spiritual deodorant, if you don’t mind the crass analogy.  It’s necessary every day! It’s a barrier to stench, grime, sin, and joy robbers!

We don’t want our Christian lives to be a SOUR smell to God, but rather a sweet smell to Him! Just like when people notice you’ve showered, put on clean clothes, applied a little perfume or cologne, combed your hair…They also notice the “spiritual deodorant” you wear. It’s true. May sound silly – but it’s true. When the Christian applies honest and sincere Bible truths…a sweet smelling person will exude naturally! A person who chooses to walk with God and live a “sweet smelling savor” lifestyle will undoubtedly be a blessing to be around as well. It is possible to choose this attitude. It’s not easy, mind you, but we CAN make a deliberate choice not to be sour, backbiting, bitter, dishonest, or other negative things that do not smell good to our Heavenly Father.

Every Christian should be a sweet smelling savor to God…keep this in mind the next time you feel the dirt and grime of the world trying to permeate your deodorant! Be aware of your scent!

Look UP my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment