Thursday, October 10, 2013

Negative, Negative, Negative

Proverbs 29:11 (KJV) A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards.
I’m going to admit/confess something in today’s blog…it is a dynamic of my life that I usually try to minimize to others. There are some things that many people just simply cannot handle – and there are awkward and uncomfortable pieces of ourselves that we all deal with. But God has been impressing upon my heart, to expose and share this part, so that it may encourage someone else. Maybe you.
I deal with negative energy and negative people almost every day of my life. Negative. Just the word sends a message right to my soul! Honestly, I have always been surrounded by genuinely negative people, and most likely, I always will. I don’t resent it (most days at least) because I have come to accept that it’s one of the reasons God created me!
With that said, when I’ve completed my work day, I try to avoid as much negativity as possible. I like to surround myself with peaceful, positive, and loving people or things at the end of an exhausting day. (Life Moment: for the record, it IS exhausting to be around constant negativity. Don’t let people tell you it isn’t!) It’s one reason I’m actively diligent in creating an inviting, clean, pleasant, and aromatic home for my family. (I said ‘clean’, because my husband and I tend to feel stressed in a chaotic atmosphere).
Restated, when I’m done addressing, interacting, diffusing, calming, soothing, de-escalating, encouraging, consoling, and listening to the public at large…I’m not readily open to add more negative energy into my life! We or I at least, must have a haven of rest!
I believe it is because of this ‘lifestyle ministry’ of dealing with everything negative, that God blessed me with the specific husband I have. (After all, HE gave him to me!) My husband is, in my opinion, a wellspring of encouragement. He oozes positive good will. He’s genuinely optimistic and easy going. Fun to be around! I did say he’s an encourager, right? Bonus characteristic ~ he’s not phony. He’s a genuinely upbeat and honest guy. His ability to offer refreshing energy is just profound. After ALL of the negativity I’m surrounded by day in and day out, there’s just no other word than profound.
Another confession – there have been times that his ability to look at the bright side, the forgiving side, the Christian side, and the funny side of circumstances has made me mad. I laugh to myself, as I recall a few moments, when I really wanted him to join in on my moment of sorrow and dejectedness, only to hear him offer some tidbit of encouragement.
The good news? One of the lessons God has taught me through personal illustration, is that we can ALL choose to be happy and encouraging to others if we do a few little things along the way.
 #1 – Smile! It sounds silly, but smiling just makes everyone feel a little better
#2 – Don’t let the enemy see you defeated…Carry on the cause for Christ’s glory
#3 – Recognize external pressures, and do NOT carry them home to your relationships
#4 – Avoid repaying evil for evil. Don’t retaliate with an insult, upon receiving one
God’s Word offers a road map for a happy life in a thoroughly UNHAPPY world! It is important, regardless of your environment, to remain sympathetic, humble, have love for one another…demonstrate compassion! It is your active relationship with a holy GOD that will help you overcome negative situations and find your equilibrium.
Rise above, by looking above to Him!
Look UP my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment