Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Oreos and Obsessions

When I read today’s headlines, my first response was, “I knew it!”
“Oreos are as addictive as cocaine, say scientist (who also discover the cream in the middle really IS the best part)” says the article.
Cookies can be as addictive to the brain as cocaine, the authors of a scientific study have claimed. Who knew?! Well, I knew this. You probably knew this. I’ve jokingly said it for years. “These things are like crack. They’re addictive.”  (Not that I’ve tried crack, but we as a public at large understand its addicting qualities).
"The chocolate cookies have been found to trigger the same neurons in the brain's 'pleasure centre' as the outlawed drug during extensive lab testing on rats," said the article. Neuroscientist Joseph Schroeder from Connecticut College in New London, Connecticut, led research into the addictive effect of the indulgent treat.
Speaking of his findings, Schroeder said: 'Just like humans, rats don’t seem to get much pleasure out of eating rice cakes.' Well that certainly rings true! I’m not a scientist, but I could have easily participated in THAT study.
This addiction to “cookies” leads me to think about things that I AM drawn to. What AM I addicted to, metaphorically, for the cause of Christ?  Am I giving God rice cakes when I really LOVE the chocolate cookies more? Do I choose things of God over everything else in my life, as most addictions cause us to do? The thing about obsession is this – when we have that obsession in our lives – everything else takes second place. (It leaves no room for doubt, worry, laziness, fear, and discomforts either. The addiction comes first!)
Is it a bad thing to be obsessed with the Cross? To consistently and consciously endeavor to put God first in our lives in ALL things? I’ve had “friends and family members” to tell me that it IS a waste of time. That I lose out in the end because I don’t participate in certain things. Or act a certain way. (I’m not being legalistic, as I write this).  The opinion of being “too obsessed with church” is wrong. I totally disagree. Beyond disagreeing, I reject that idea totally. Because we know what God’s Word teaches us in the Bible.
Healthy Things to be Obsessed With
1)      God’s Word – It is a good thing to be so obsessed with God’s Word that we cannot go to work or go to sleep without it. Our spirits should require it daily! John 1:1 (KJV) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2)       God’s House of Worship – Our hearts and spirits should be drawn to His house. It’s where we fellowship and receive help. If you go too long without being inside God’s house, something is wrong. Your spirit should actively crave His presence in His house! You should miss it!
3)       God Himself – Our thoughts should be on Him throughout the day, every day. The book of Psalm says that God is our refuge. He is our strong tower. When we stay connected to HIM, it means other things are kept out! We need to be obsessed with His shelter of protection from the enemy.

4)       Spreading the Gospel – We spread the Gospel by how we live. You may not have opportunity to go on a missions trip, but you can still sow seeds. Your life reflects your light! Random acts of kindness. A kind word. An act of service. Not being obsessed with ourselves! Those are good ways to start!
Don’t cheat yourself out of miraculous blessings and truths by NOT abiding in obsessive companionship with God! Go ahead – forget the rice cake – enjoy the cookie! You KNOW you want it. I LOVE the center of an Oreo, don’t you?
Look UP my friends!






No comments:

Post a Comment