Monday, February 15, 2016

Famous Quotes Deliver Food for Thought




Lately I’ve read several famous quotes. Quotes from all varieties of people and diverse beliefs. I use God’s Word as my personal navigator, but it’s also healthy to understand others’ views and beliefs (in my opinion). For instance, I like autobiographies. I like insight on what makes people tick. How they overcame the odds. How they used their gifts. How God orchestrated things for their good (Romans 8:28) even though it may not have felt like it at the time. Things like that.

In that mindset, famous quotes can deliver food for thought.

I' can’t immediately recall which famous minister said the following quote: “I have two days in my calendar. Today and the day of judgment.”  

 
I think it was Spurgeon or Luther, but nonetheless, it is quite deep when you think about it.

Then the quote, “You can’t develop Christian character from books.” I’m not the expert to criticize another person’s beliefs or opinions, but I do wish the end of that sentence said, “Except the Bible – God’s Holy Word.” God certainly does instruct, lead, and convict us through His Word.

I believe the MORE time put into God’s Word, the more you’ll receive in return. The MORE we faithfully attend the House of God, the more you’ll receive in return. The MORE prayerful we are in our daily lives, the more we’ll receive of grace and mercy, in return. The MORE closely we communicate and walk with the Lord, the more intimacy, love, and peace we experience, in return.

So…allow me to ask you, dear reader. Is there a quote that speaks deeply to your soul? I encourage you to search the Bible. Ask God to lead you to the right Scripture needed for this time in your life – no matter how troubled, painful, or joyful it is right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment