Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Biggest Lie about God

In my opinion, the biggest untruth told about God is unusually simple – the lie that God doesn’t exist. I personally have a hard time relating to the concept, but unfortunately, thousands of people do accept this lie as a truth. (I kindly ask that you refrain from emailing me your debates on this matter). I have found that many people attempt to apply logic in an illogical manner regarding God, faith, and His existence. I will explain in the following paragraphs.

One author stated, "The King James Bible, over and again, you will probably grow to realize that not all of the things you’ve been told about God and religion were either true, or what the Bible actually says. They may have been what organized religion said or what some men taught, but not what the Bible itself said. For example, the Bible did not say that God was an old man floating around in the sky, blasting things into existence here upon the earth. The Bible said, “God is a spirit: …” (John 4:24) and that God is not flesh and blood. Jesus made the statement, “… for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven” (Matthew 16:17). There are many people today who do not understand this."

A Russian astronaut once made the statement, “See, I told you there was no God; I didn't see him when I was in orbit.” The question might be, “What was he looking for?” Author John Clayton said, “I began to recognize that God was not an old man in the sky. I had an anthropology professor who made the statement in all dead seriousness, “We all know what God is; he is an old man with a long white beard and big flowing robes.” I am sure that this was his concept of “God.” I began to recognize that this was not the biblical concept of God.” (Did you know? After studying science and comparing it to the Bible, Mr. Clayton began to believe in God – he turned away from his atheistic beliefs. He intended to write a book called All The Stupidity In The Bible. But praise the Lord, he actually wrote Why I Left Atheism. You see, God’s Word IS inspired – it is infallible. It will never be snuffed out).

One author said it this way, "The Christian recognizes that the Christian life is not always an easy or charitable life. It is a misconception that many people think as a Christian you cannot ever be happy, you cannot ever own nice things, and you have to walk around with a long sad face looking like you just lost your puppy." Mr. Clayton said when he read the Bible, he also read statements like “So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, …” (Ephesians 5:2829).  As reported, he went on to read about the Ethiopian eunuch who went on his way rejoicing because he had found Jesus Christ and the happiness that went with that acceptance of Jesus in his life."

Clayton said, “I have had many problems come into my life, but all I have to do is to look back at how miserable life was without Christ and I can realize that life, as it is now with Jesus, is beautiful in comparison.”

Life Moment: 2 Important Truths: The Christian understands that the church is not a building. We don't worship the house of God - we worship IN a house of God.  The church is made up of people – the body of Christ. (We can worship anywhere, at any time, but in this day and time we are blessed to have beautiful, comfortable churches all across the United States). The second truth is also very important - everyone should recognize that hypocrisy is not confined to religion! The atheist or non-Believer may the idea that every hypocrite in the world sits in a pew on Sunday morning. Ok, maybe a few do, but it's not all inclusive. I’ve personally had a few experiences with this situation – a crisis came, a tragedy occurred, a trauma was experienced – people I knew as atheists requested prayers on their behalf. I didn’t scream, “You hypocrite!” I was humbled and DID sincerely pray. It gave me a better understanding that hypocrisy is a function of humanity, not just religion.

Clayton said, “You deal with hypocrites at the grocery store, at the filling station, on the job, at school, and at the golf course (maybe more there than anywhere else). You do not quit buying groceries because the grocer says one thing and does another. You do not quit your job because your employer tells you to do something that he himself would not touch with a ten-foot pole. You do not deprive yourself or your child of a good education because a teacher teaches one thing and lives something else. You do not quit playing golf because your buddy takes a stroke in the rough and does not count it when he thinks you did not see it.” (Weren’t those GREAT examples?!)

Sure there is hypocrisy in the church, because there are human beings in the church, and as long as you deal with human beings, you are going to deal with hypocrisy. It's naive to think that Christians don't have problems! Everyone has struggles!  Do you want to get away from hypocrisy?

One article I found said, "Try digging a 30-foot hole in your yard, jump in, and let someone cover you with dirt. You’re in the hole all alone! Guess what? Even then you are going to be sitting down there in the bottom of that hole with one hypocrite. Yes, you. I’m politely referring to you. I’m also referring to everyone who has breath."

 There is not a one of us breathing air that is as consistent as we ought to be, but the person who says, “I'm not going to be a Christian! I'm not going to serve God! I'm not going to get involved in the work of the church because there are hypocrites in the church,” is just logically inconsistent! We do not use that kind of thinking anywhere else in our lives.

Why would we do it in our relationship to God? There are numerous misconceptions and lies about God and His existence. Let's don't muddy the waters with illogical logic.

One personal example – He lives in MY heart.  I KNOW He lives! It's not arrogancy from which I say this...it's from love! My own personal experience. My prayer is that you know Him too.

Look UP my friends!

1 comment:

  1. A lot of good words. The truth is written in a book that is inspired by God. Which men wrote.
    And these men were inspired by God to write these words. So let us all go away from the traditions of men and do what Jesus has told us. (how to live) Ten Commandments. There are 2 Great Commandments.**Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
    Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
    Mat 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
    Mat 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

    ReplyDelete