Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Top 4 Wishes


I came across a funny picture on Pinterest ® which said, “My top 4 wishes are to: Earn money without working; to be smart without studying; to love without being hurt; and to eat without getting fat!”
The longer I read the quote, the deeper it became for me. There’s some truth in that funny quote…perhaps, there’s a couple of truths for many of us! Wouldn’t it be grand to get paid for NOT working? Or to be an encyclopedia of knowledge without having to study? To eat a box of Krispy Kreme Donuts and not worry about a high glycemic index or gaining weight? (If you haven’t had a Krispy Kreme then you’re definitely missing out! They’re a decadent treat of ooey-gooey goodness! I hope they have a location in your neck of the woods!)
Ya’ know, we can apply this principle to our Christian walk as well. If we don’t live consistently; attend God’s house faithfully; or read His Word, then how can we expect to grow and mature as a Christian? It requires dedication. Sometimes sacrificial commitment. If we don’t work at being Godlier people – then we simply won’t be! (Of course, understanding that our salvation isn’t based on good works).
Is it realistic to think accurately of ourselves – that we’re devout, righteous, or “On fire for God!” type people – if we really only give God our leftovers? The easy stuff?  If we expect His Word to absorb into our daily living through osmosis? It doesn’t work that way.
How can we treasure the Word if we don’t read it – if we don’t love it? If we don’t study it? John 1:1 says, In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. Jesus IS the Word!
So, how can we GIVE to God; faithfully LIVE for Him if we’re not doing the required work… if we’re typically the take, take, and take type individual?
Let’s ask ourselves…what are my top 4 wishes? It’s a very personal question. Are they centered on God’s will for our lives?
I know for myself – One wish is to point others to the Cross of Calvary in an consistentlyencouraging way. One wish is to think less on myself and more about HIM.
My 3rd wish would be to be a special blessing to each person in my life. And lastly, I’d wish for a KK Donut right now… (Laugh out loud) See! That’s what I meant in wish #2…LESS about myself.
But seriously, my 4th wish is rather private but in my way of thinking, if I’m in the center of God’s will, then that’s the safest and best place to be…and God has done the work for me!

Look UP my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment