Monday, December 16, 2013

Hiding our Joy

"As snow in summer, and as rain in harvest, so honour is not seemly for a fool." Proverbs 26:1
I darted into the grocery store for a few items about a week or ten days ago - typical emergency snow/inclement weather items – bread, milk, butter, and cereal. (Not sure why milk is a mandatory item, but it’s an unspoken law in my neck of the woods!) As I was hustling from one isle to the next, I bumped into an old acquaintance in the diary isle. My heart went out to him as he spoke of his daughter’s fight with cancer. His inability to buy Christmas gifts for his grandkids this year. I think my heartfelt sentiments spurred his thoughts in a particular direction.  He offered encouraging words of support to me, and his thoughts and speech marks stuck with me. (I think he was quoting a pastor he heard on the radio, but I’m not certain.) I’ll paraphrase the gentleman’s words as best I can.
“God wants us to be an example of His goodness.”  He looked me directly in the eye and very somberly said, “You now understand that you don’t have to apologize if you get a handful of purpose and blessing and somebody else doesn’t.” I just stared back…trying to absorb his comments.
“Don’t feel bad because you’re blessed. You don’t have to hide your gifts. When God is good, don’t hold back your blessings. Be bold!” he adamantly stated.  Christians don’t have to hide their joy, peace, victory, or earthly possessions. You don’t have to dress down and “look poor and pitiful” to show people that you are really humble. Most real Christians are automatically humble. When you exude your blessings with gratitude, giving God ALL the credit, focusing on talking about HIS goodness, thanking Him for all He’s done, you’ll bring honor to God. It’s not prideful. True friends will share in your joy – not judge.”
“Thank you for trying to help me feel better,” he quietly said as he patted my shoulder.
I admit it…there have been times I’ve been hesitant to share exactly how blessed I am, for fear of hurting someone else’s feelings. I’ve “felt bad” on occasion for not struggling in a certain area that my sister or brother in Christ may be struggling in. (We ALL have trials – they just tend to vary from household to household). There have been times I’ve felt really bad for someone else who has struggling very hard - but I wasn’t in a valley that particular moment, so I didn’t tell them about my blessings. Maybe I held back when I shouldn’t have. I’ve been too shy, or fearful, that people would misperceive my actions or deeds as braggadocios or selfish. Materialistic. Fears of judgment ring a bell to anyone other than me? (Shame on me for not giving God His worthy praise!)
Let’s not HIDE our gifts from God…Let’s share HIS goodness this Christmas season! It’s about Him anyway – not us – so it’s okay to be thankful and tell people about our thankfulness!
Look UP my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment