Thursday, December 12, 2013

Our Imperfections

Visiting a friend in the Hospice House yesterday was a stark reminder for me, that time is short. I don’t believe it was that long ago that I thought 72 years of age was old! Well, as I’ve aged myself, I’ve been reminded that 72 years out of eternity, isn’t even a blink! The Scripture more accurately tells us that life “is a vapor.”  James 4:14 (KJV) says,Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.

Life is short!  We might want to “get about” to our business of living a happy life. Not a perfect life, but a happy, thankful, and God-filled life.
With Thanksgiving behind us, and the end of the year drawing nigh, I wanted to be mindful (to myself as well as the reader) that our season of “giving thanks” has not concluded. There are blessings and reasons to give thanks through our imperfections.
Such as…
My job can be stressful and difficult – but I’m thankful to even have a job.
The job might be exhausting some days – but I’m thankful to have the health to work.
My health status has infirmities – but I’m alive and I have a few people who love me.
I have made many mistakes – but God has forgiven me and lifted me up to try again.
I have been disappointed in people – but God has never disappointed me.
I have let God down at times – but He loves me anyway.
My vision isn’t great even with glasses – but I can see what is in front of me. And I have truly seen the Light of the world, Jesus!
My bones ache and resist motion sometimes – but I can move about of my own accord.
The problem of not knowing what to wear – really means I have a lot of selection in my closet.
Each meal I prepare may not be restaurant quality – but I don’t go to sleep hungry. My cupboards are not bare.
I may complain about the cost of gasoline – but I’m thankful to have a car to drive!
People may hurt me through word or actions – but we have a Comforter in Christ Jesus.
My abundance of imperfections – gives me reason to thank God for His perfection.

Let’s take a moment…pause…and thank God for our imperfections. Through them He teaches us, He demonstrates His love toward us, and He draws us closer TO Him.
Look UP my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment