Monday, December 30, 2013

A Gift to My Spirit

In spite of trying to shop early for gifts, purposefully setting aside time to focus on the birth of Jesus, baking a few treats, and gathering around the table with friends and family, each and every year this extraordinary holiday, Christmas, seems to sneak up on me just a bit. Like most years, the Sunday night before Christmas presented itself quickly in 2013. This year my husband was asked to preach at the evening services for a local church due to their Christmas play being unexpectedly cancelled (secondary to bereavement of one of the families). He was, of course, humbled and happy to oblige.
Lovely Christmas wreaths welcomed us as we entered the doors. Balsam and holly proudly hung over the small entry hall, greeting those who crossed the threshold. Large scarlet poinsettias were bountifully placed around the altar and instruments. One colossal sized, deep crimson flower was strategically positioned in front of the podium – the “old sacred desk” as it is often called.  It seemed to set a majestic tone for the sanctuary. A little country church – on the side of a highway – honoring the birth of Christ in atmosphere - It was a wonderful place to be!
I smiled as I looked at the twinkle-light candles in the long windows. They were surrounded by pine boughs and bows. What a quaintly beautiful and serene setting to hear the Gospel. I thought of Mary and Joseph as I sat down on the pew. This outwardly plain little country church I was in was by far, more regal and comfortable than they were, the night the Christ child was born. ‘I love you, Lord,” crossed my mind as I took off my coat and greeted those around me. (There’s just something even more special about being in God’s sanctuary during the Christmas season isn’t there?)
As the service progressed, my husband called me up to sing O’ Holy Night…our absolute favorite Christmas song. (I noticed a gentleman in a crisp dark suit move closer to where I was standing, but I knew I needed to blot out my immediate environment and just focus my heart and thoughts on God. Tune out the world, so to speak, and just focus on HIM). I didn’t really think anything else of it.
I heard the base notes of the music as my husband’s fingers hit the keys…I take a deep breath and inwardly ask God for His help and tell Him that I’m singing for His glory. I take notice of my signal to begin... “Oh holy night…the stars are brightly shining,” I began to resonate. Soft and low.
Out of my peripheral vision, I see the gentleman in the suit move. His hands and arms were moving. I see him make the sign for Christ with his fingers. In that split second I understood he was interpreting for the deaf by using American Sign Language. He was signing as I sang. As I got to the chorus, my voice grew as the song builds. “Faaalllll on your kneeeeees…Oh hear the angels’ voices…OOooh Niiiiight devine!” I look to the interpreter – his hands and arms fully consumed with the words he was communicating too. I cannot articulate just how moving and beautiful it was. Not my singing – but his signing. Oh, how it stirred my soul!
I kept going. I tried not to tear up, knowing I needed to hit the high notes soon. I saw tears spilling out from the man’s eyes. His eyes were closed – lost in the music – he was signing from his heart. He was signing AND singing with silent lips too. Humbly and boldly, so beautifully translating the words. And the message of Christ’s birth. 
After the song ended, I looked out at several wet faces. People were wiping away tears. The spirit of God had manifested and the hearts of the people seemed to be touched. (Not by me as a person, but through the Holy Spirit). I put the microphone down and walked back toward the pew. The gentleman had re-seated himself. He made eye contact, softly smiled and whispered, “I hope you didn’t mind…”
Didn’t mind?! It was one of the most beautiful Christmas gifts I’ve ever received! In my privilege to minister to others in song, God had ministered directly to this ole’ wounded, sinful, unworthy heart. He blessed me beyond words. Beyond music. Beyond the physical ability to hear.
The gentleman went on to interpret for my husband as he delivered the message out of the Bible. His fingers worked extremely skillfully and poignantly as he matched the words departed by my husband. It’s a blessing to see a Christian doing something from their HEART. Clearly working for nothing more than to give glory and honor to God!  I’m sure most of us have seen interpreters for the deaf in services before…it is always a moving and stirring experience to see. In my opinion at least. But this Christmas gift, it goes beyond words. Beyond hands. Beyond my earthly comprehension. It was a gift to my SPIRIT.
I will carry this experience in my heart for a long time…please join me in praying for this gentleman and his wife as they minister the Gospel (as missionaries) to the deaf in Australia. What an exceptional and much needed work!
But the best part for me was that this gentleman’s tears communicated as much as his hands. Aaahhhh, the love language of God!
Look UP my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment