Monday, June 3, 2013

Shallow Theology


Someone gave me a small pamphlet recently entitled, “Why I Stopped Being a Christian.” Initially I was a little shocked; maybe even a little prideful at the moment, because my immediate thought was, “Does this person not know that I am a sincere born again Believer?” I took a few minutes to read this “brochure” (hoping to learn something to encourage this person) but promptly tossed it in the trash. I didn’t think it was appropriate or wise for me to keep it – in fact before I tossed it out, my heart began to beat a little faster, my hands felt heavy, and my spirit was convicted! Take it from me, don't even entertain garbage if you don't have to! Just toss it! As Christians, we need to understand that the spirit of the world doesn’t operate on what you mean – it operates on what you say. Before we assail principalities and powers of the adversary, the Christian must be aware of two things.
#1 – Our past                        #2 – Our future
One of the things that re-educated me in the earlier referenced brochure is that many people, many Christians, are at their breaking point. The common denominator seemed to be the feeling of “giving up because it’s not worth it.”  People are hurting for a mixture of reasons. Folks are facing disappointments and troubled times. I’m hearing it more and more as I receive feedback through Cornerstoneofstrength. I think it is a natural emotion for most people to feel like giving up from time to time – merely from exhaustion, unreturned efforts, or lack of support. But, I think it’s important to note that while we may want to give up on OURSELVES, the Christian should rarely entertain thoughts on quitting on their love for God. It’s a dangerous road to travel!
Have you considered spiritual attacks – spiritual warfare? It’s a real occurrence. One of the surest signs of spiritual attack is the feeling that you want to throw your hands up and quit. A growing number of ministers have communicated with my husband in recent months, sharing their concern for those in their flock. Members who are simply giving up!
Be wise fellow Christian! You must have the TOOLS for spiritual warfare. It starts with God’s Word. It begins by turning to Jesus. To hear some ministers tell it, every Christian is receiving miracles. Everybody is getting instant answers. Everybody is happy. Send in your “seed money” and you’ll get rich very soon. Everyone is living well – problems are easily solved upon praying a single prayer. Basically, the whole world is bright and rosy if we just THINK positively about life.  
Oh, my friend. This is heartbreaking! I do wish all of those good and healthy things for God’s people, but that’s not the way things are for a large number of very sincere and honest Christians. Beware of shallow theology! Shallow theology is an insult to a lowly Jesus who left the glories of heaven to dwell among the poor. One writer said, "The lowly Jesus, who died a failure in the eyes of the world. We must remember our FUTURE when we’re under spiritual warfare."  It’s also healthy to remember the adversary’s future. Revelation Chapter 20 says he will be cast into a lake of fire!  I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand. And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years, And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season."
One of our neighbours has a beautiful cactus in her front yard. As you know, they are survivors! The cactus grows in dry, barren land. The cactus doesn’t quit during a drought! We should take a lesson from them. (I’ll include a photo for you to enjoy).
Look up my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment