Thursday, June 27, 2013

Getting Back Up


Someone spontaneously said to me yesterday, “It must be nice to never have problems! You just get up and keep trucking like nothing is wrong. I can’t relate, but I’m happy for ya!” I couldn’t have been more shocked at that particular moment. I’m glad that the person seems to perceive me as a happy, upbeat, and problem-free person, but no one is exempt from trials, problems, or adversity. (And if anyone tells you they’re upbeat and happy 24/7-365 they might be related to Pinocchio!) I admit I have my reasonable share of challenges, but God has proven Himself faithful through every valley, problem, and obstacle I’ve ever had. Not because of me or anything I’ve done whatsoever, but because of Him. Who HE is!

 Was the person genuinely happy that my life was seemingly “problem free?” I sort of doubt it, but they were trying to have a good attitude about their false impression. Gotta’ admire that at least! And the point she made about “getting up” struck home with me! It’s good to stay in the game isn’t it? Not to quit! People are looking at the life you live for Christ!

Let’s take a quick look at the following Biblical Men: Remember how the prophet Elijah sat under a juniper tree and wished that he might actually die?! Moses got so depressed that he asked God to kill him. Paul, a great and tremendous Apostle of Christ, spoke of his desolation and despair in the Scriptures. The psalmist David’s son, Absalom, tried to kill him. So you KNOW if these great men of God went through trials (and got back up!)  that we will also suffer through rough times.

So what does one do, to keep getting back up, after they’ve been knocked down? I have adapted a list of the following:

Look UP  Jesus is the real and only Comforter. He and His strength are what will carry you through. Will I ever know joy again? Will I get through this? Maybe those are questions you’ve asked yourself. You’re not alone. Maybe the problems you’re going through aren’t your fault. Maybe you have good reason to feel depressed or defeated. I encourage you not to look anywhere but UP to Jesus during this time. Luke 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Look ON Don’t allow your thoughts and actions to be trapped in the present circumstance. Just like we should “carry on” or “press on” no situation is forever. Look at what you’ve been brought through! I usually don’t recommend looking back too often, but it’s a healthy and productive task when we recall ALL the times God has brought us through heartache! So, look on. March on. Stand strong. Don’t focus more attention on negative memories than the hope you have for wonderful new ones!

Look OVER Occasionally we have to look over people. Okay, maybe more than occasionally. Maybe a lot! I know people have to look OVER me sometimes too. I encourage you to look at what lies over “the river Jordan!” Our eternal home in Glory! Taking the high road with people isn’t always easy, but it’s honoring to God. Looking OVER means you’re not stagnant. As Christians, we are to continually be about God’s business. There’s a work for us to do!

Look AHEAD It’s comforting to look ahead – for the Christian. To finally see the face of our Lord and Savior one day! To see His nail-scarred hands. To see HIM seated at the right hand of the Father. To see the place He has gone to prepare for us! Oh how words do fail to capture what heaven will really be! Don’t you want your family and friends there? I know I sure do!

Oh my friends, life on earth is short. The Bible says it is just a vapor! Do all you can to share the Gospel. Share your faith. Pray for your lost loved ones. Be an example to others.  Look UP, ON, OVER, and AHEAD! You’ve been knocked down a few times…The hand of God awaits you. He IS the Anchor that holds!

Look UP my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment