Thursday, June 4, 2015

The Constant in Life is Change


 Psalm 61 (KJV) Truly my soul waiteth upon God: from him cometh my salvation.
He only is my rock and my salvation; he is my defence; I shall not be greatly moved.
How long will ye imagine mischief against a man? ye shall be slain all of you: as a bowing wall shall ye be, and as a tottering fence.
They only consult to cast him down from his excellency: they delight in lies: they bless with their mouth, but they curse inwardly. Selah.
My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him.
He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved.
In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’ve been going through in an extreme fluctuation of emotions lately. One moment trying to process the sudden loss of our niece/daughter. At other times, I’ve been numb or in a state of bewilderment. Loss. Grief. Despair over attack from the enemy. We’ve all been there at some point, for a variety of reasons…it’s one of life’s common denominators.

I’ve had a few short moments where I’ve let the floodgates open, and have cried deeply for a few minutes. But mostly, my spirit has remained silent. As the songwriter so brilliantly captures, “For day and for night, my heart was so heavy. My spirit was silent, and my bones were so weary.”

I’ve talked with God. A lot. Asked Him to fill my weakness with His strength. To conceal and console my silent spirit with mercy in ways I cannot comprehend. To extend His daily grace in a way that binds my out of control thoughts or emotions.

I know this one thing – if it wasn’t for the love of God penetrating the darkest hours of my life I couldn’t make it.

So, it begs the question? How does the Believer cope with the loss of a child – young or adult? The loss of things you held secure? Those moments when you wonder if your prayers go beyond the ceiling you’re under at that moment. (I think most of us would admit that feeling from time to time…as we’re begging, beseeching, seeking God to deliver us from our circumstances).

·        Understand grief is unique to everyone, and we all grieve over different things/losses differently.

·        Pray constantly. Turn to Jesus for your innermost needs. Don’t be afraid to reach out to others and ASK for prayer!

·        Know that at some point, your chuckle, smile, or laugh will return. And it’s a good thing. It took me a couple of weeks to laugh again. Of least expected places, a cat video that a friend posted on Facebook. Unexpected laughter is a real blessing!

·         Know that God will restore you to a place of emotional and spiritual balance in His timing. Don’t feel rushed to put on a happy face or false illusion. Be yourself.

·        Claim certain Scriptures in the Bible. Read them often. Psalm 62 has helped me this past week. (Just because you’re going through a trial, doesn’t mean the adversary doesn’t attack! In fact, it might feel like it gets WORSE during our worst of times)

·        Then last but not least, surround yourself with those people and things you love.


I ask that you pray (or continue to pray) for my family and me in the weeks ahead…I’ve always heard in regard to our earthly journey, “The only constant in life is change,” and I tend to agree with that sentiment very much.

Be reminded that what people may intend for your harm, God will turn it around for your good. He will give you beauty for ashes.

What sorrow encompasses you today will not always dictate your thoughts and actions. HE will wrap you in His comforting arms.


Let’s look UP!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment