Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Riots and Chaos




If your thoughts are similar to mine about the recent riots in Baltimore, Maryland, then we might both share feeling confused and discouraged. I'm not a political activist or asking for political feedback. This is and continues to be a Christian publication.

This week's rioting event quickly brings to mind and connects us to Mr. Rodney King, the OJ Simpson trial, the Ferguson riots, Trayvon Martin violence/riots, the Kimini Gray Riots (also known as the Brooklyn Riots) in 2013 and the list could continue almost indefinitely.

When is the last time we thought of Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado? Red Lake Senior High in Minnesota where 8 people died? The Amish School in Nickel Mines, Pennsylvania? The Virginia Tech Massacre from 2007? Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut? Perhaps you have recalled the 2012 shooting where 12 people were killed and 58 wounded in an Aurora, Colorado movie theater? Sadly, this list of violence and deadly harm could go on and on as well. Just recalling these events makes me queasy and heart sick. But here we are...yet again...asking God to make a victory out of our self-imported mess. 

We are, as a general society, in a state of unrest. What's this from? WHY is the question I'm hearing asked most frequently.

There is no simple answer or simple solution for a complex state of affairs. I do know a few straight forward approaches though...let me share a few quotes to start the conversation.

Whether by blood, friendship, or both, people are connected to people. People have an incredible bond that starts within the soul of man - said by my husband, Pastor Hemric.

Fellow Christians (the original word was "Sisters") function as a safety net in a chaotic world simply by being there for each other - Carol Saline.

What about the mom, who on Monday, ran after her 16 year old son, and yelled and smacked him until he returned home? Is she a hero? I'm leery of the word hero, because I find very very few worthy of its definition, but is she a role model for other parents? That's for you to decide. I read that her son is one of her six children; her only son. Would she also have done this if one of her daughters had acted so atrociously? I sure hope so!  (I give her kudos that she knew he would be involved in misconduct and the horrible offense of turning rocks/weapons upon the police officers).

Nonetheless, for me personally, I don't think protest permits or quantifies illegal behaviors, self destructive acts, and/or gives anyone the option to reek havoc onto someone else or their property. As you probably heard growing up, "Two wrongs do not make a right!"

So, this is my suggestion -- my challenge to you, precious reader. Are we praying for our fellow man? Are we praying for our country during good times AND bad times? Are our lives truly reflective of our journey of faith?! 

Are we setting the example for our future generations? 
It starts at home, folks! 

We understand that most teenagers are independent by nature. They've developed their own personality, their own values. Do your kids see you pray? Do they see your fears and doubts? Do they hear you talk trash about your church or about the church as a whole? Do they participate in God-oriented things more than other hobbies? I'm not judging you. I'm asking you to examine yourself, just as I must examine my own heart.

I'll continue Part II tomorrow, Lord willing :)

In the meantime...Ask yourself, who is greater? The one at the table, or the one who serves?!

And let's please look UP! 


No comments:

Post a Comment