Thursday, March 20, 2014

Tips for Spiritual Warfare


Today’s post is a very serious topic. I generally try to keep Cornerstone of Strength® positive, short, encouraging, and humorous, because I feel that people need those things in their daily lives. But today’s blog is quite serious, and I have found over the years that the topic of “warfare” makes many people uncomfortable, yet I need to be obedient to God.
Recently our pastor brought out a tremendous message on our adversary, the devil, and his mission to devour the Christian. You are probably aware of the Scripture in 1 Peter 5:8 (KJV) that tells us,  Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour.”

For the skeptic and non-Believer, the whole idea of LIONS, CONSUMPTION, and Spiritual Warfare might bring about a good chuckle or laughter. In fact, the concept of God and specifically Jesus Christ is “made fun of” or mocked in comedy sketches throughout the television industry. You might recall the SNL skit about the “Church Lady,” or more recently Conan O’Brien’s mocking sketches…perhaps the comedienne Sara Silverman who mixes the name of Jesus with more profanity and anti-Christ comments than I even care to articulate. (I, personally, do not watch either comedian mentioned – but for the purpose for this blog – I felt it necessary to be specific in real life examples).

And naturally, people laugh. Big laugh! No judgment here, but most do not understand Biblical truths and they wouldn’t take such “Godly” things seriously. The small examples I listed are illustrations of how pervasive spiritual warfare is for the current Christian!

Have you ever walked by a doorway, and had a cat jump out at your leg unexpectedly? For a brief moment, it “scares the daylight out of ya!” You might jump. Yell out! You might verbally scold the critter because it scared you.

Have you ever been in a room with a group of people and a balloon unexpectedly pops? You might see people duck their head– thinking they've been shot! People might scream in fright. Clasp their chest. Look around the room nervously. This just happened to me a couple of nights ago...

Listen my friend…spiritual warfare is a real thing. And you may not even realize you’re dealing with it! It’s like the cat that jumps out at you – or the balloon that pops – it’s unexpected. Often effective. And largely unseen.

But! And this is an important “but!” …………….

We must remember FIVE things:

1)    satan {small “s” on purpose} is a DEFEATED adversary!
2)    We have God’s infallible Word to lean on.
3)    We have prayer directly to God the Father, through His Son, Jesus. (We need not ever pray in fear!)
4)    God promises to ALWAYS be with us when we need Him. (Not when we think so, but when HE knows so).
5)    We do NOT stand alone in our battles! The strength and grace of God will help us!

If you’re a loyal reader, then you know I always end my blog with “Look UP my friends!” I do this for a few various reasons, but one is to remind others (and myself) that looking and listening to God’s voice in our lives is extremely important! It’s HIM, His Word, and our personal relationship with Jesus that are the weapons that will help us when we’re facing our adversary!

Pray this prayer with me – It’s rather lengthy – I encourage you to get quiet for a minute…Settle your thoughts. This prayer is what God impressed I share. For someone. Somewhere. 


Heavenly Father, I pray in the precious name of Jesus. I understand that YOU alone are most worthy to receive all glory and all praise for every good thing! I am thankful that in Jesus, you have made me complete. You offer to be my daily help, my hope, and my strength. Even though I fail You every day, You are faithful! I am thankful for the whole Armor of God that You provide. In my dependence upon You, You grant protection. It is under Your wings, I place my rest.  Today, I will put on the Breastplate of Righteousness, the Girdle of Truth, and the Sandals of Peace!  I am thankful for the Blood that Your Son, Jesus Christ, shed for ME on the Cross!  I believe in His virgin birth, His resurrection, and His soon return! As I lift up the Shield of Faith against all the fiery darts of the enemy; I hold fast to the promises in Your Word. I know Your hands are the mightiest and truest hands! Thank you for where you've brought me from! Thank You for taking me to where you want me to go! Thank You for being my Redeemer and knowing that my mere words could never describe Your matchless power or grace! Thank you for knowing the deepest part of me, and loving me anyway! In Jesus’ name, Amen. 

Look UP my friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment