Thursday, November 7, 2013

No Drama Zone!

When I hear the word “drama” I tend to associate it with negative or unwanted behaviors. ‘Making mountains out of mole hills’, as I’ve heard it phrased my whole life.  I personally am not attracted to “drama queens or kings” for lack of a better adjective.  And, yes, dramatic people come in all genders, shapes, sizes, and spiritual velocities. Drama is not limited to teenagers! (No offense young readers!)
Drama is not the same as chaos or stress. It is not equivalent to circumstances such as pressure, strain, pain, or difficulty. The common denominator is how one responds to those things – not the actual experience of them. In my mind, drama associates itself with a performance, unnecessary confusion, and often exaggerated or misrepresented situations.
For example, a few days ago I witnessed a 50-year-old-ish gentleman overly exaggerating and arguing about the price for a cup of coffee in a restaurant. He insisted his meal should only have been $4.99 – which was partly accurate. He did get the $4.99 special of eggs and bacon, but he also added coffee. He admitted to asking for said pot of coffee. The coffee wasn’t free – it was $1.99. He fussed, belittled, and badgered the cashier. The growing line of people waiting to pay their bill did not seem to matter to him. (It’s interesting how our immediate desires often outweigh everything else in our midst sometimes).
 I felt bad for her. I was embarrassed about it. I was confused as to why he thought the coffee would be free. It just felt awkward. We, the other customers, were left standing and gawking at each other. I genuinely thanked the Lord when the manager came to assist. I heard the argumentative men exaggerate the situation. He didn’t lie out rightly – but he put just enough spin on the conversation to play it to his advantage. He distorted a few details too. (By this time, I was getting irritated!)
Confession Time ----- When it was my turn to pay the bill, I thanked the lady for her nice customer service instead of hitting him with my pocketbook like I had thought about. LOL! I carry everything but the kitchen sink in my handbag, so, I immediately dismissed the thought since it would have been considered a weapon. But, I did think he needed an integrity lesson on not lying and not manipulating situations to suit his own goals. {Ok – please don’t judge me too harshly! I don’t care for drama and I don’t care for those who bully others either. Admittedly, it was an ugly thought, and I did ask God to forgive me}.
Be alert: When the adversary convinces us that our Christian sisters and brothers, our neighbors, those in trusted positions, or those whom we love are the enemy, then often discernment and prayer go out the window! Repeat – discernment goes out the window as we tend to give up spiritual armor and defer to our own weapons on the flesh instead; namely, the tongue. Boy, what damage the tongue can yield! Or an overly-loaded handbag, like I mentioned earlier. Both can be viable weapons!
 (Life Moment ~ When we reach the point of creating or reacting to drama, the adversary is winning the battle in our lives).
II Timothy 2:24 – 26 (KJV) teaches us…
 24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.
So, the next time you’re in a situation where you’re tempted to defend yourself, someone else, or attack another…Remember this! Put the proverbial handbag down. Walk away! Resist the adversary!
Refrain from responding to the drama…Go into your own "No Drama Zone" There are no Academy Awards ® for Christians. Just let it go…nobody can fool God. Ever! And you’ll be granted a more peaceful and peace-filled spirit.
Look UP my friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment