Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Eve Before Thanksgiving


Today’s blog is a poem I’ve adapted from the Night Before Christmas by Clement Clark Moore. Hopefully, he wouldn't be too offended! Sending my personal prayers and well wishes to every reader!

 
The Eve Before Thanksgiving


It was the eve before Thanksgiving

And the turkey, in its brine was afloat

The dishes were freshly washed –

Found a crack in the antique gravy boat!

 

The critters were nestled all snug as a bug

And grandma and grandpa would arrive with a hug.

When out in the yard, there arose such a clatter

I threw down my Kitchen Aid to see what was the matter!

 

I ran to the porch and looked out at the trees below

At first it was difficult to see, because of the rain and falling snow.

But through the wind and bustle, an unexpected sight began to appear

It was a really old man and his wife, armed with weapons of fear!

 

Not guns, or knives, or scissors, or shears

But a testimony, with a Bible, for every ear to hear!

Standing in front was one very kind looking soul

With a Thanksgiving message about God making one whole…

 

They didn’t want anything – but to give me an old worn tract

They told me about the Gospel - Biblical truths and facts.

Their eyes gleamed with compassion; wrinkled faces spoke with a grin

They said their wish for this holiday, was for others to know HIM.

 

So, I thanked them for their kindness – for their willingness to commit

I settled them down; offered hot chocolate with stick peppermint.

There in my apron, with flour on the floor

I told them about my life…when Jesus opened my heart’s door!

 

I told them that I love Him – He’s my Savior and dearest friend

That I want to serve God faithfully, until my life comes to an end

Knowing Thanksgiving isn’t about what’s fancy or a day to be stressed

It’s a day to profess God’s goodness – to be reminded how greatly we’re blessed!

 

So with a smile and a nod, they shuffled away into the cold…

The old man looked back and said, “Go tell others! You’re never too old!”

With rapid speed and a smile on my face,

I returned to the peeled potatoes, and bowed my head in humble grace.

Thanking God for salvation – for His mercy and love

The best Thanksgiving gift ever, from my Father above!


Written by Kimberly Hemric

November 27, 2013

 Look UP my friends!

 
Leaving you with some Scripture to meditate on the rest of the week….

Psalm 50:14 (King James Version)

14. Offer unto God thanksgiving; and pay thy vows unto the most High:


2 Corinthians 9:11 & 15
(King James Version)

11. Being enriched in everything to all bountifulness, which causeth through us thanksgiving to God.

15. Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment