Monday, April 22, 2013

When Winning Isn't Enough


Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage – Galations 5:5

Not too long ago, I read a true story (by Shannon Woodland) about Judge Elwin Ahu. Elwin Ahu was pleased to wear the robe of a circuit court judge. After all, in his estimation he had earned it - he deserved it. He worked hard, was smart in academics all through high school, played by the rules, and usually won in the game of life. He later soared through college with minimal effort. He was simply a winner! However, when he got into law school, things changed.

Ahu said, “I’d cut out of class. The same that I did in undergrad, thinking that I could carry on in law school.” But he soon found out he couldn’t continue with minimal effort. He bombed a class and the school threatened to fail him. So, for practically the first time in his life, he faced failure. This motivated him to come up with a plan.

“So I figured out a way how I could get through these classes,” explained Ahu.” And I found certain rules and principles that I needed to apply and it became a game to me. If I know the game, if I know the rules then I can pass. And I did.”

Elwin believed he could apply that same strategy to any area of his life and succeed. He even married while in law school, just to prove he was right. “Everyone said we were too young. And the more people told me I couldn’t do it, that it wouldn’t be successful, the competitive edge kicked in and I was out to prove them wrong.” {Life Moment – Do you find yourself trying to prove other people wrong a little too often? It’s true that God provides the mercy and grace needed in difficult situations, and that He’ll make us more than conquerors. It’s AWESOME to be victorious over gloomy situations in our lives! But Apply Caution: be careful not to be too high-minded or bitter about it. Don’t be so busy proving others wrong that you forget WHO you are in Christ.}

Ahu and his wife divorced after seven years. They shared custody of their six-year -old son. Ahu refused to accept any blame for the broken marriage. He was a winner, after all. It wasn’t his fault! Rather, his coping mechanism was placing the blame on what his wife failed to do in the relationship.  {Life Moment - Have you said this? “It’s not my fault!”  If I’m brutally honest, I can recall a time that I failed to take personal responsibility. You probably can too.}  Playing the ‘marriage game’ by a certain set of rules seems like a bad formula, in my opinion! Marriage isn’t a game! And if we’re rigid in our expectations of others in our home, chances are you’re going to be highly disappointed.

The article I read tells the reader, "In this time in Ahu’s life, ironically his professional life as a litigator was climbing. His drive to win made him a dynamo in court!  His success as a lawyer ultimately fostered him an appointment as a circuit court judge. (He didn’t realize it, but his personal life on the other hand was a mess.) He had remarried into a blended family and was determined to make it work, his way. (Oh boy! You can imagine how successful that was!) “I step in, knight in shining armor, save the day for everyone, play by my rules,” was what Ahu said about it. Needless to say, as often occurs when we try to do things on our own without God, he received another F in husbandry."  Ahu divorced again and moved in with his mom and dad. (Are you saying to yourself…This man is a JUDGE, probably at least 40 years of age, now twice divorced, a dad himself, and now living with his parents? Doesn’t sound like a winner! It’s shocking how trouble can creep into our lives and we don’t even see it happening! Life can happen fast!)

But one particular afternoon, Ahu’s life changed. For the better! (Thank God for His mercy and blessing!) A friend had given him a sermon on tape. Ahu listened to it. Put the tape away. Listened to it again later. Put it away. Finally, he listened to the entire sermon. The Holy Spirit was calling him. Ahu recalled that moment, “The pastor said, ‘God may have orchestrated every moment in your life for you to be here to receive the forgiveness of Jesus Christ.’ I exploded. Because for the very first time I came to realize that it wasn’t anyone else who was wrong, it was me, that I needed forgiveness.”

Woodland said, "After accepting Christ Jesus, into his heart, Ahu also felt he needed to set some things right. He realized forgiveness comes through God and Him alone. “I needed to not only receive forgiveness from the Lord but to go ask for forgiveness from my two ex-wives. And that was an interesting journey.”  He also asked his son, Brandon, to forgive him, because he felt like he had failed him as a father. But Ahu stated, God had already been at work in Brandon’s heart."

For two more years Ahu continued serving in the circuit court. He remarried and he and his wife, Joy, felt it was time for him to leave the bench. I found out that in recent days he works as a clergyman in a young, growing church with his son Brandon. (Isn’t that amazing? Not only did he see the error of his ways, understanding that God’s ways are NOT our ways, but in giving his heart to Jesus, Ahu now has a brand new life! A happy, fulfilling life!)

Being a ‘winner’ isn’t always what it’s cracked up to be…Do you have any situations in your life that you’ve been trying to handle ‘your way?' Have you been saying “It’s not my fault, too often?” Remember ~the old adage is true. Money cannot buy happiness. Success is not the job title we have, the salary we earn, the house we live in, the praise of man, the material things we possess.

For the Christian, living as a winner in this life means being on THE winning side! (Of Christ)

Look UP my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment