Monday, April 1, 2013

Our Own Self-Importance

Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall. Proverbs 16:18

Someone once said that a diploma is like the curl on the tail of a pig. It doesn’t mean very much, but it sure does tickle the ham to which it is attached. (Kent Crockett, Making Today Count for Eternity, Sisters, OR: Multnomah Publishers, 2001, p. 132) Maybe it’s just me, but do many people come across as self-entitled? Superior? Holier than thou? I’m speaking of the Christian and the non-Christian. We seem to be a society of people who glorify OURSELVES.  I simply ask where your humility is….and how much do you/we buy into our own self-importance.

A few weeks back, one of the guests on a popular morning television talk show was/is an athlete and bodybuilder. The host asked the athlete if he would show off his muscles to the audience. The host wanted to be bench pressed to show off this athlete’s big muscles. With a big grin on his face, the athlete faced the viewers and cameras, and flexed his muscles. "Wow,” the host said, “you sure do have the muscles.  She coquettishly added, “What do you use all of those muscles for?" The athlete didn't answer, but continued to flex and smile at the audience.

Again the host flirtatiously asked, "What do you use those muscles for?" Still grinning, the athlete remained silent and continued to show off. Within a few more seconds, he bench pressed her body several times.  Squeals and squeaks cried out in fake dismay. However, the answer was obvious. He didn't use his muscles to do any useful work, but only to glorify himself.

We can elevate ourselves in many different ways. We can use our God-given external DNA – or restated - how we look, intellect, job status, possessions, and/or personal accomplishments to lionize ourselves. We can even use our spiritual gifts and ministries to praise ourselves instead of the God who blesses us with those gifts.

“I would never do that!” you say. I believe you, but what would others say about you?  People do it all the time – often unaware of themselves.

 Here are a few examples the Christian can actively consider:

·        A former heavyweight boxing champion boasted, “I am the greatest.” The Apostle Paul said he was the “chief among sinners”.
·        Pride is deeply offended when people are unnoticed for their work.
·        Pride is offended with someone else is recognized.
·        An anonymous gift or action isn’t anonymous if you tell people “not to tell it.”
·        The Christian doesn’t put someone “down” in order to lift themselves up.
·        Pride makes sharp and insensitive comments masked as humor.
·        Pride is smugness – an “it doesn’t apply to me” mentality.
·        Pride looks around at others instead of looking inward.
·        Pride is religious – it is superior in its perceived connection to God.

Archie Bunker once said, “I’m not prejudiced. I love all those inferior people.” (Kent Crockett, Making Today Count for Eternity, Sisters, OR: Multnomah Publishers, 2001, p. 130)

I encourage you to pray the following prayer:  {Life Moment: You may have already said to yourself, “I don’t think I have a problem, but I’m going to pray anyway.” That’s pride!}
Father, in Jesus’ name I ask you to forgive me. Help my heart not to be proud, nor my spirit to have haughty eyes. Today, make known to me, and take from my heart, every kind, form and degree of pride. Today, empty me of self, of thoughts of myself, and awaken in me the deepest depth and truth of that humility which can make me capable of Your revealing light. Please allow me to honor YOU, not my flesh. Amen.

Look UP my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment