Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Oh Yeah, I Love Lucy!


My favorite quote from Lucille Ball goes like this…”I’m not funny. The writers were funny. The directors were funny. I’m not funny. What I am is brave.”  When I first read that quote, I felt her humility and willingness to give others credit for a team effort are/were a great example of human character. You may be aware that Lucille Ball, after starring in more than 60 movies and being known as the “Queen of the B-movie,” found her identity as a clown on the long running TV series I Love Lucy. While I Love Lucy was before my time, I became a fan as a child. Most people I’ve spoken with have a favorite episode or two. I imagine it is easy to think of Lucille Ball in black and white as the “Vitameatavegamin” girl, or to remember her suffering through one lowly job after another as Lucy Ricardo, but there are a few lessons to be gleaned from this famous red-head.
1)     Persevere - Do it anyway attitude! How many times have we heard “No Lucy, you can’t be in the show!” from Ricky? How many times did people say “Lucy (Ricardo) has no talent, she can’t sing?”  Did she care? Absolutely not! Week after week she did everything she could to get into Ricky’s show. It takes grit and perseverance to push through obstacles.
2)     Remain Humble – Lucy had/let Ricky run the business, but Desilu Solutions was her brainchild. She promoted hard work and strong business ethics. She wasn’t a ‘glory hog.’
3)     Be Brave – Before Oprah, there was Lucy. Lucy was a maverick. Enough said.
4)     Work Hard - Lucille said, "Everyone’s definition of talent and success is different. Don’t let others put you in a box or try to define you."


I feel it’s a good idea to consider and apply these same principles in our Christian lives.

PERSEVERE – Ephesians 6:18 - Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints      The Christian must keep going – doing – walking – praying –serving -witnessing! Don’t stop, even when the adversary tells you there’s no point. Keep serving God.                                    
HUMILITY Proverbs 22:4 By humility and the fear of the Lord are riches, and honour, and life.

(Isn’t it a turn-off to be around someone who likes themselves too much? Someone who lifts themselves up, rather than give credit to others for a job well done?!)
BRAVERY - Deuteronomy 31:6 - Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he [it is] that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.  It is impossible (in my opinion) to be fearful and brave at the same moment. When we’re overly fearful in our day to day lives, God isn’t being magnified and His grace isn’t abounding like it could! I recommend quoting your favorite scriptures until those defeating, self-doubting thoughts subside. The adversary is no match for God’s Holy Word.    WORK HARD - Jeremiah 32:27  Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh: is there any thing too hard for me? There’s nothing TOO hard for God, so giving our best and doing our best is an automatic response for the Christian. One famous minister says, "Something is wrong, on the inside, if our heart’s desire isn’t to give the Lord our daily best!"

And last but not least, it is truly beneficial if we can look on the FUNNIER side of life! We need more compassion, more laughter, more joy, and more of God’s love in our lives…Personally; I want to contribute to that!

Look UP my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment