Friday, July 19, 2013

What Could You Be Stressed About?

Stress! A weighty topic familiar to most of us. In fact, sometimes I think it is a common denominator among people. There are tons of “Stress Management” books and stress-reduction books out on the market – many written by top professionals. Did you know that Amazon has more than 30,000 books available to help you deal with s-t-r-e-s-s according to research? I admit that I have read an article and/or book or two on the subject – particularly what effect stress has on the body. The aphorism “stress will kill you,” definitely rings true.

 I’ve taught classes on peer pressure, stress management, and living a victorious Christian life. I can guide you to what Scriptures we’re supposed to confess and lean to when stress rears its ugly head at our door. I truly get it. Yet, guess what friends? I still get stressed out sometimes. (In fact, this has been a stressful, overly demanding week in more ways than one. I’ve had a few “Calgon! Take me away!” moments). Yet, I know that unlike the Apostle Paul, I haven’t been shipwrecked 3 times or beaten with rods and hit with stones. I haven’t been in prison or unjustly whipped with 39 lashes! Now, he had every reasonable cause to feel stressed! Yet, he was an excellent example to us! He didn’t bellyache and grumble. No complaining. His hope was in the Lord – and he claimed victory even during defeat. God delivered, too!

Surely I am not the only Blood-bought, born again, sinner saved by grace, child of the King, Believer who gets stressed out on occasion? (Not that I’m proud to admit it). Naa...even though the adversary may TRY to make me think that I am alone in this, I know better. (Many of you reach out to me privately in text, Facebook inbox, or an email. Thank you for trusting me to listen and pray about our stressful dynamics together! And thank you for not judging me too harshly when I confess my stressors to you in return).

“What could YOU be stressed about?” is a question I have received. Have you received it too? Don’t even get me started! It’s not healthy to remind the adversary what we’re stressed out about. But, at any given moment, health issues, spiritual burdens, financial dilemmas, family or friends not choosing to live for God, exhaustion, and the list goes on and on. We ALL have personal reasons to experience stress. The key is to not let it go too deep.

One pastor said, "I think it’s important to recognize that we often stress ourselves out far more than an unreasonable boss, an unruly teenager, or someone choosing to treat us unkindly."  Let me say it again...Friend, be mindful if you are stressing yourself out. It can happen. It does happen when we aren’t trusting fully and completely in God. (I get mad with myself for giving more attention to life’s superficial circumstances than I should). Important Life Lesson: When we take our eyes off Jesus, things go downhill quickly! Do not accept chronic stress in place of peace! Make a precise decision to end the vicious cycle of pressure, stress, and constant worry. Never be too insecure or proud to ask for prayer OR to bow on your knees to ask God for assistance!

Here are 5 Tips to Help Relieve Stress:
·         Sing songs of praise – or play uplifting, God-honoring music
·         Show compassion to others around you
·         Meditate and quote your favorite Bible promises
·         Pray to our Heavenly Father – Trusting. Confidently. Unselfishly.
·         Remind yourself that you are never alone. He is with you.

You CAN experience the peace only Jesus can grant! Make an appointment to do one of these things with Him today. You’ll feel better by His grace!
Look UP my friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment